Chapter 02 - THE PAST

Hello, I really hope you liked it so far. Here comes the first chapter of the past. Please let me know what you think, enjoy reading. 

Cheers!

<><><>

05. August 2013 - Van der Verden holiday residence, Saint Tropez, France

Biting her lip softly, Leanne suppressed the urge to roll her eyes. Her mother had promised her some quiet family holiday, the little for her mother unimportant detail, that the Verstappen and Schumacher families would come along this year once again deemed not important enough to be mentioned. Honestly, sometimes she asked herself why she was still surprised.

This fact was not mentioned to the young Dutch woman until the question arose, as to how the five bedrooms, which were available rather than the normal amount of seven, due to renovations would be split. This meant that the two bedrooms which were intended for the children needed to be split between seven children. Leaving this matter to fight over for later, Leanne decided that she needed some time alone at the pool, before her father's best friends and their family would arrive in Saint Tropez.

Leanne was just about to drift off as Isa flipped down on the sun longer right next to hers. Lifting her sunglasses, so her sister could see her raising her eyebrows at her, Isa smiled innocently at her, but Leanne was a part of this family as well. She knew none of them was innocent nor sweet, like most of her friends thought.

"What do you want?" She asked the fourteen-year-old, who surged in response.

"Josh just left to meet the girls from yesterday to play volleyball and Max and the others haven't arrived yet. I'm bored." Of course, her brother had left poor Isa to run after some pretty girls like always, which normally would cause her to roll her eyes, but the specific mentioning of a certain Dutchman interested her more. Did her baby sister have a crush on the school's biggest fuck boy?

"Don't you have some extra schoolwork to do?" Leanne asked remembering pretty well the day her mother told her, that her little sister was just like the rest of the children, talking back without thinking, which got her detention and a lot of extra work over the summer break, to better her behaviour, which was just unfair in Leanne opinion, but if that kept her sister busy, she wouldn't complain. In her opinion forcing someone to generate knowledge wasn't a punishment.

"It annoys me. I don't get why my teachers can tell me if I'm wrong, but it's naughty to tell them, when they're wrong." She had a point, but thankfully it was nothing new for their mother to deal with one of her three children getting into trouble with any kind of authorities. At least the youngest only had problems with teacher, other than their older brother, wo had to be picked up from the police station more often than once already in his life. Well, what can he say, a racing driver who drives too fast is like an overweight cook. An essentially for the job.

"Please, Leanne. Play with me." Exhaling softly, Leanne reached out for her bookmark, which was just an old shopping list, before she closed the book and promised her baby sister to play with her.

"But don't think I forgive you for making me your last choice." She told her, which caused the youngest Van der Verden to smile brightly. The badminton set already in hand, causing Leanne to huff. Well, at least her other brother wasn't here, so this match wouldn't end in a blood bath.

There was not even one Van der Verden child, who wasn't highly competitive, even if it was just a game. The need to win was in their blood. Leanne will never forget the 2007 monopoly tantrum, since that day they were banned from playing that game. If you looked close enough, you could still see where Max got hit by the board, a fine line right next to his eye. Josh had thrown it across the room and unfortunately, Leanne is still convinced it was intentional, it hit the oldest Verstappen who had just taken all his money. Until today, Josh swearers it was an accident, whenever it was brought up.