Chapter 12 - THE PAST

"If this is the new thing, ... that we're coming up here to watch the boys while practice, I don't know if I wanna be part of this friend group anymore." Ines said once she was in hearing distance to the other three girls who each got herself a seat on the benches of the grandstands surrounding the football field. On which they boys which were part of the school soccer team gathered for practice.

Cornelis was there, which was also the reason the girls gathered on the grandstand but not only Alida's boyfriend was part of the school team. Max was stretching a bit next to Sander, who took a sip from his water bottle, before Cornelis touched Sander's shoulder, his eyes on the grandstand as if he was looking for something or rather someone. As his eyes lit up, he must have noticed his girlfriend causing him to wave at the girls, with Alida waving right back, a smile so big on her face, that Leanne could see it despite sitting behind her, in the last row of the grandstand.

He said something to Sander and Max, which caused the later to stop stretching before both of them glanced up to see the girls as well. Their eyes met for a brief moment, but neither Max nor Leanne smiled, they were back to mostly ignoring the elephant in the room, before the coach called for them, which pulled the boys attention away from the grandstand.

"Oh, come on. It's a beautiful day, you can do your homework in the sun or just relax." Alida replied without taking her eyes off Cornelis, who was standing next to the other boys not so much listening to what the coach was saying, not when he could watch his girlfriend at the same time.

"And you can watch sweaty guys." Alida added, barely holding herself at the edge of her seat, while playing with her fingers nervously, despite all the boys on the field were doing now was running some laps.

"Yeah right." Ines just huffed and walked up the rest of the stairs to sit next to Rie, who was busy with her math homework as it seemed. The were sitting a row down from the back, Alida even one more row down, while Leanne leaned against the back wall of the grandstand in the last row, one of her legs pulled up to her chest, her arms slung around it, while she watched quietly.

It was Alida who had suggested that on such a beautiful day, they should go and do their homework outside on the grandstand, that they could watch the boys from here was just a plus to her, but Leanne wasn't so sure about that. Not since Max and her had to work on that project for advanced German and things kind of got out of hand on his couch. It's not like they did something forbidden, it wasn't even proper fooling around, but still Leanne felt tense every time he was a bit too close to her for her own liking, sitting next to each other was hell, especially when people expected her to pay attention to her teachers when Max was right there, looking at her every now and then with these intense eyes. She felt like he was doing it on purpose to distract her.

"Please tell me one of you understands what he talked about in the maths lesson today." Ines said, looking down at what Rie was doing, before frowning once more. Ines was good with languages, maths and sciences was never her strong suit. Leanne was no help either, she was sitting next to Max during maths and if she hadn't written down a single usable note during the lesson it was her secret. Alida reached inside her backpack to get her notes out, but before she could even offer them to Ines, the other girl had snatched them away, causing Alida to protest.

"Be careful, I need them." She told Ines, who just huffed before throwing a small package of cookies at Alida.

"Share her notes and I can explain it to you." Rie spoke up with a smile. Alida's notes were always the best, she was just very good at listening and writing absolutely every information down which was mentioned during class, and they also looked absolutely beautiful.

Alida ignored her friends and watched for a while, Leanne doing the same even thought she wasn't as excited about the practice as the other girl, who couldn't stop herself from commenting the whole thing.