Chapter 17 - THE PAST

Moving swifty through the corridor at school, Max leaned against the locker next to Leanne's watching her get her books. She hadn't been at school on Monday to Wednesday, claiming to be sick and then she had told Alida that she had been seeing a doctor on Thursday but hadn't picked out Max's calls the whole time, just this once Thursday morning as her mother had picked out. Now it was Friday, and she was finally back in school.

"Can we please talk? I can't take being ghosted any longer." He said, which caused Leanne to half close her locker door, so she could glance at Max, before checking if any of their friends were close.

"What on earth happened to your cheek, who did that?" Max wanted to know, but his hands staying on her cheeks, while he carefully tiddled her head to look her over, but Leanne was fast to swat his hands away.

"I fell, it's nothing." She claimed and they both knew she was lying. "There is nothing to talk about, is there?" She wanted to know, earning herself a look of disbelieve from Max.

"Are you for real?" He wanted to know.

"You know exactly what we have to talk about, don't pretend nothing happened. And where were you the last days? I couldn't reach you since you left my home on Saturday morning." Max told her, while Leanne just stared into her locker, before Max pulled her back and closed the locker door, so she would have to look at him.

"As if I could." She hissed at him, before looking over her shoulder and trying to relax her body again. "I just... I need time to think, okay?"

"Do you regret sleeping with me?" Max wanted to know, his voice low and desperate.

"No!" Leanne exclaimed in a whisper tone, she didn't want Max to think that for even a single moment, because she didn't. Just as the nurse said, she didn't know, she still doesn't know for sure, and it was wonderful. She had trusted Max completely and now she was afraid she might never be able to trust anyone like him.

"Max, really. No, I don't regret it." She let him know, while reaching for his hand to hold even though it caused her stomach to turn. Leanne had decided that no matter what, Max would never learn the truth, if they were siblings, she didn't want him to live with that burden.

"Then what's going on? You said you wanted to talk, so I guessed that you would actually talk to me." He pointed out and Leanne was at a loss of words, she couldn't tell him what really was going on. She couldn't live in ignorant bliss and just love him no matter what. This was an obstacle love and deep feelings wouldn't be able to overcome.

"I don't know. Okay? My head is all over the place right now and I can't think straight when I'm with you, so that's not helping." She let him know.

"And you couldn't tell me that? I don't know what the fuck is going on either. We could have been clueless together, if you wouldn't have ghosted me."

"There is so much going on right now." Leanne warned him, because what else was she supposed to say. What was she meant to tell him if not the truth, the truth which she never could let him know.

"That is no excuse, Lea. I'm not homework you had no time to turn in. You let me believe that you knew what you wanted. That you were sure that you wanted this, wanted us but now you're not sure anymore?" Max wanted to know, not understanding what the sudden change caused. He had thought they were going into the right direction, that they might be settled for now, that they won't be scared anymore and actually try it.

"How can this have a future when we're both all over the place?" Leanne asked, frustratingly.

"I'm not. I might not know what the fuck is going on, but that is your doing. I know what I want, Lea." Max told her almost harshly.