Chapter 14 - THE PRESENT

Love was always a mystery to Leanne Van der Verden. Feelings were complicate, relationships even worse. She wasn't sure she ever came close to it, how so if she had no real idea what it was supposed to feel like, but if she ever felt love, if that was what she should call the feeling, the giddy feeling of home and anticipation she felt when the right person kissed her or touched her skin. She knew she felt these things only ever with one man, Max Verstappen.

The very man that sat opposite of her around a big wooden dinner table on the terrasse of her family's summer house. Her little sister next to her, while she dreamily watched Checo, who spoke with Max, while the older one took care of their dinner on the grill.

Leanne wondered if that was love, or if it at least felt like it for her baby sister. A man married and the father of two children Leanne had actually met. Could that even be love? Most likely, an affair would have been over long ago, but Leanne didn't know what she would prefer or for what she should hope for. Having an affair with a married man was bad. Being in love with one was worse. Isa risked so much Leanne wasn't sure any man was worth it.

"Your dad is the cutest." Leanne suddenly heard her little sister say, both men turned to half face them, while Checo gave her an appreciating smile. "A bit overbearing maybe." The Mexican added, but Isa shook her head while she got up from the table and walked over to the grill to loop her arms around the Mexican's.

"He loves you and likes to show that, you shouldn't let anyone tell you that it's not heart-warming." Isa added before pressing a kiss against her lover's cheek. "Your childhood must have been a dream." She added while looking up into Checo's eyes, who let out a laugh before glancing at Leanne shortly before gazing at Isa again.

"What was your childhood like, you never tell." He tried to change the topic, his cheeks a tint reddened, while Max had leaned against the table by the grill and picked up his beer.

"Oh, we had so much fun." Isa spoke dreamingly, which caused Leanne to lower her gaze, her fingers working on removing the label of her beer bottle, not looking up to see the nostalgic look she knew which would be present in her sister's eyes.

"We spend every summer here, with Max's family and Mick's. My dad's great, he's so funny and would do anything for his girls. Mum was always so relaxed and spontaneous, she would do everything with us, no matter for what we asked. We went on so many adventures. I want to be a mum just like her one day." Isa explained to Checo, which caused Leanne to scoff.

What about Josh? Leanne wanted to scream at her little sister. What about our brother, who gave everything for us and never got anything in return.

She suddenly wasn't hungry any longer, so she got up from her seat, gave her little sister a small smile as she rested her hands on her shoulders while squeezing past her, all while being watched by Max.

"Where are you going now? Dinner is nearly ready." Isa pointed out, her arms still around Checo's and a delighted and dreamy smile on her lips which swiftly fell upon seeing her sister move away.

"I know. Don't wait up for me." Leanne said causing her sister to shake her head before she shrugged and took the seat her older sister hand been sitting in mere moments ago, just so she could sit on the side of her lover during dinner and maybe hold his hand a bit.

"Be careful." Isa had called out, earning herself a nod from her older sister as she moved to step down the stairs to reach the beach, the sun already setting over the ocean.

"What's with her now again?" Leanne heard Checo huff. "Is it because you mentioned having kids?" He wondered, which was just answered by a shrug from Isa.