Chapter 04 - THE PAST

Hello, hello. Another chapter for you guys. I hope you enjoy reading and please let me know what you think. 

Cheers!

<><><>

Being back at school after the summer break only helped partly, even though she had promised herself it would be her salvation. Leanne had her friends, her homework and her studying to do, but things haven't changed enough so she wouldn't be sitting next to Max Verstappen any longer. Their names to similar, to close, forcing them to share a desk even. The always seemed to stick to one another while fighting their hardest to get away, but it was fruitless.

"Come on guys, that's enough, get to your seats." Their teacher called once he entered the class, causing Leanne to look at her friends before rolling her eyes, causing them to laugh before she moved to sit next to Max, who didn't even look at her. He never liked school, his mind always far away and still he was a good student, one of the best which felt unfair.

"Let's get started." The teacher said again, while Leanne pulled her books from her backpack and Max leaned his elbows onto his side of the table.

"I have your geography quizzes from last week. They were terrible mostly. Guys it's important to know which country is where and which capital the country has. That's not that hard to learn." The man said, before he started to hand each student their sheets. As Leanne got hers, she smiled. 99 points from 100 was a solid result, so she allowed herself to look at Max expectingly, a smug grin already on her lips after the praises the teacher had given her until Max got his quiz back, causing Leanne to frown, hearing the praises and seeing the result.

"Well, seems like I was better once more." Max muttered close to her ear, which caused Leanne to give him an angry look before she put her quiz away while Max basked in his ego. He enjoyed that she reacted so well to it all, that she was bothered by him beating her so easily.

"Go to hell." Leanne mouthed at him which caused Max to smirk back at her, resulting in an eye roll from the younger Dutch before she glanced over her shoulder at Rie, one of her best friends, who just shrugged her shoulders as Leanne glanced over at Max to make her friend understand what had caused her sudden annoyance after showing her friend a thumps up to let her know that her quiz was one of the better once too, before gesturing at Leanne to pay attention once more. Neither of them wanted to be scolded by their teacher, which often ended in detention.

So, Leanne opened the book on the required page and ignored Max throughout the whole lesson, which amused him greatly.

The moment the bell rung, Leanne got up from her seat, for which students would get scolded for, but even if their teacher had to say anything to her this time, she couldn't care any less. She took her backpack, her books gathered in her arms, before she looked at Max, who was sitting there relaxed despite the rest of the class clearing out as fast as they possibly could. Leanne bend forward, so her face was level with his.

"Be careful or you'll choke on that cockiness of yours." She warned, before glancing at Max, who glanced back at her, it was a short moment, a brief one, because then Rie was calling her name and she straightened up before walking over to her friend, who was standing by the classroom door.

"What was that?" Rie wanted to know while Leanne pulled her books closer against her chest and reached out to brush a strain of her chocolate-coloured hair behind her ear before looking over her shoulder towards the door again. Sander and Tomas were standing there, waiting for Max, who just joined them, his gaze on her retreating for as well.

"What was what?" Leanne wondered. "Let's go have lunch, Ines and Alida must be waiting already." She added before Rie could say anything more, which caused the blonde girl to follow but not before she looked over her shoulder as well, watching as Sander greeted Max.