Chapter 25 - THE PRESENT

Leanne was standing at the side of the entrance of the Mercedes garage while the mechanics of their team took care of last changes before FP2. Glad that finally, she had no media duty, Leanne was checking her phone, about to ask Isa if she wanted to have dinner that night at the hotel, so Checo could join them. Leanne would text Max to stumble over them too, especially now that they were in something like a relationship again. Of course, making it look as if it was a nice surprise rather than long planned as Jos Verstappen got her attention. He was approaching the Mercedes garage which was strange enough as it was, but then his eyes settled on her and Leanne was sure that whatever he wanted, he wanted it from her.

"We need to talk." He told her in Dutch, her team having noticed Verstappen senior approach, was ready to whisk her away any given moment should Leanne give even the slightest sign of discomfort, but she simply looked at him with a neutral expression, before giving one short nod and handing her trainer her phone.

"What do you want?" Leanne asked not wasting any time, because one thing was clear, she wanted to spend as little time with the older Verstappen as possible.

Glancing over her shoulder where Jos was looking, she noticed that her mechanics were all watching her, just as Toto and her trainer. They were all on high alert. Leanne gave a small nod, which caused Jos to take a few steps away and towards the red bull garage, so they were standing just where the two garages met.

"Was I unclear?" Jos quizzed. As he looked at the young woman leaning against the side wall of the Mercedes garage, who wasn't interested in what he had to say at all.

"What about?" Leanne asked him, something like a grimace blooming on her face.

"I warned you to stay away from him. What is that bullshit you too have going on now again?" Jos told her, his eyes set on her coldly causing Leanne to snort, before she pushed herself away from the wall of the garage.

"Is this all a joke to you?" He wondered but Leanne never replied, she was no child any longer and more than anything else, she did not fear Jos Verstappen. Not now that she was an adult herself. He could do nothing to hurt her, not anymore.

"It is a bit funny that you believe you can tell me what to do." She said with a small smile, but she got serious again as she saw the look on Jos face. "You know, because I am the one in control here, I always was."

"You know exactly why this can't keep happening. Why I told you to fucking keep away from him years ago." He said which made Leanne frowns at him.

"Remind me, what is 'this' exactly." Leanne told him, honestly intrigued. She wondered what Jos thought was going on between her and Max, just because they were seen clubbing together a few times and were in Saint Tropez for the summer break. That was no indication that they were sleeping together, but apparently it was enough of an indicator to Jos.

"Aren't you disgusted with yourself?" He spat, but no. Leanne wasn't.

Firstly, because the last time she had slept with Max was literally ages ago and more important than anything else, Leanne had an DNA test which spoke her free of every sin Jos was accusing her of. She wasn't related to this very man and also not to his son, but she didn't feel like letting Jos know that. She rather had him believe that she corrupted her son without him knowing.

"You're just a pretty distraction, he likes to spend lonely nights with. If he would know, he would never..." Jos began to speak, but Leanne felt like the man had spoken enough for a day, which is why she took a step closer to him, really getting into his face, before she addressed him once more, with a smug grin on her face.

"Well, why don't we go and tell him then? In the same fashion you told me? Wouldn't that be nice?" Leanne asked him, before already walking a step past Jos over to the Red Bull garage, while calling the younger Verstappen's name, but Jos was quick to grab her arm, before pulling her back.