Chapter 10: Timing

There was a lot of hype about the first task coming up at the end of the week. No one knew what it was yet, but earlier last week Kiara saw Harry pull Cedric aside and they seemed to be deep in conversation about what she assumed would be the first task. Harry was having a hard time and probably not the best experience as a Champion, seeing that nearly all the Hogwarts' students supported Cedric. Ron and Harry were still on the oust and even Hermione seemed to be fed up with it. None of them were saying anything which left everyone in the dark. However, after Cedric and Harry's talk, Kiara heard Cedric asking people to stop wearing the mean badges and be nicer to Harry.

The twins were still excited about their win against Ravenclaw last week. There wouldn't be a game until next week, which gave the teams a little break, or extra practice hours.

Kiara and her friends were hanging out in the main courtyard Friday after dinner. Kiara was not really sure why because it was cold and the snow covered the grounds. A few seventh years were thoughtful enough to get a bonfire going, so everyone decided to sit around it to keep warm. Like always, there were a lot of people out there.

A certain laugher caught Kiara's attention a little away from her group. It was Julia. Kiara looked up and saw a few Hufflepuffs gathered nearby. Malcolm turned away and Kiara immediately caught Cedric watching her, deep in thought. His elbows were propped up on his knee, supporting his chin on his wrist. His light brown hair was combed to the left in perfection and his white uniform shirt was untucked in just the right ways.

No one had ever looked better.

It was no wonder the twins called him Pretty Boy Diggory.

Kiara raised an eyebrow at him and he dropped his arm before sitting straighter. His gaze was still fixed on Kiara though and she wished she knew what he was thinking.

Cedric could not look away from Kiara and he knew he was being rude just staring. But she sat on the other side of the bonfire from him and the way the fire lit up her face, and just watching her having a good time with her friends, it was impossible for him to not watch her.

Julia snapped her fingers in front of him, causing him to look at her. He looked back at Kiara and Julia followed his gaze to her. Kiara ducked her head as her cheeks heated. Julia caught the two of them stealing glances.

Kiara could not help it but she looked up again and found Cedric standing up, laughing with his friends who seemed to be messing around with him. Cedric absently handed his books to Malcolm, before heading straight toward Kiara. Seeing him approach, Kiara glanced at her friends.

"What?" Nathan asked, drawing in the attention of the rest of their group.

But by then Cedric was close and Kiara stood up to meet him halfway.

"Hi," he smiled at her.

"Um, hi, what's going on?" Kiara asked him, curious.

Cedric did not say anything more, but instead he grabbed her face and started leaning in.

"What are you doing?" she whispered, alarmed with her eyes wide open. Everyone in the courtyard was watching them now.

He completely ignored Kiara's question and kissed her in front of everyone. Kiara was so shocked it took her a moment to process that he just kissed her publicly before she kissed him back. At first there was silence and a few gasps, before a few people started cheering and rooting Cedric on.

"Hey, hey hey! What's going on here?!" The twins pulled them apart.

Cedric smiled, wiping his mouth slowly before looking at Kiara's cousins, "Fred, George. Enjoying the fire?"