|17| Breathing fire

❝ Write a flash fiction about a spooky night during October, when a supernatural creature is coming to life in our world! ❞

The flash fiction should be no more than 500 words long.

. . .

The sun set; along with dusk fell on the shore. All soft, still and fair! Solemn hours of midnight, calling against vulnerability. Breaths sweet, dreams of love everywhere. Watching the drizzly mist; I'd welcomed the night.

A creature— taking form, breathing fire into a thousand years of life.

In a barrel of odds, ends— it's different. Swapping around with burnt leaves, fleshes scream aloud, sprinkling bark over the river bank!

This night's closing on pieces of log rafts, riding high on river banks— grunting while slowly getting discovered.

I was laying down on the shore, often to fool folks. But, fate decided to play tricks on me. First concealed the hills in grey, along with valley's end— I'd watched the trees to blow, wave their light leaves to writhe.

The living— passed in gloomy weather. At first as a fleeting wave, sharp claws start to glow. I couldn't believe my eyes.

It's Halloween night. Everyone's busy either getting dressed up or playing 'treat or tricks.' Steam rose slowly from the grass. It rose up eerily and drifted mist-like towards the molten-grey silver moon.

It began as a whisper in the air. I heard a greedy thrush, snail a-tapping on rock; as if someone finished their supper before fluttering into the owl-light of the forest.

Mournful cries echoed in the still-vault dark night. It's a sign of rebirth or something significant— I couldn't tell.

It lured me to go further. Wind spurred around, flared up the last lines of creased doubts over my forehead. A tinkling sound came to my ears as I was treading towards the water bank. It wasn't the soft, stolen sound but an urgency of coming out.

What I saw there— I wasn't ready for that! Horrific scream escaped from my mouth when I saw that a ghost of a creature snapped and crackling like bracken pods; in the middle of the river.

It was glowing red, skins growing over its naked body, washing the last stain mark of any whimper. It growled louder and louder until I snapped my hands to cover my ears, closing my eyes.

Its body, thrummed with energy and desperate to release in nature. The winds whipped up in a frenzy. When I opened my eyes at last, it was coming to me.

"Where are you going?"

The river exhaled with a murmurous purr of satisfaction.

My whole body started to shake. Finally it falls, unlocking the glassy fingers of winter’s frosty fist, one by one.

I screamed aloud!

For a brief moment, I thought that I might be doomed by adventurers, destined to get swept away in a mighty flood.

"We needn’t have worried. Give me your body!"

Before I could run from there, I slipped in. Last thing I remembered, the creature lunged forward.

The curtain of last reminiscing passed over by the time dawn arrived. An explosion of birdsong erupted from the dripping trees and it was as if it never came to life.

It was always there!

25th October, 2023

आप प्रकाशित भागों के अंत तक पहुँच चुके हैं।

⏰ पिछला अद्यतन: Oct 25, 2023 ⏰

नए भागों की सूचना पाने के लिए इस कहानी को अपनी लाइब्रेरी में जोड़ें!

When dark illuminate | ✎जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें