1

" Well, What will it be? "

" What? " You blinked, folding your hands.
" You heard me. " Your mother picked up the cloth napkin and wrung it loose until she could fold it back up again: A habit that was never nervous - more, impending.

" Is that so wrong? Yes, that's what I want. "
In the midst of trying to explain something so simple to your mother, you found yourself impressively blown. She was not the only person fraying your nerves, but damn was she significantly better at it.
See - It all came down to wanting to attend a party on Friday with your friends Tasha, Pam, Lorelei and Dana. This (frequently) ensued an entire obstacle course of questions and pestering alike, and presently you were seated adjacent to her, trying not to blow a gasket.
Your mother proceeded. It was hard to not feel this judgement that projected off of her. Maybe her generation never learned how to pretend well enough. " But wouldn't you prefer to spend that evening with a boy, [Name]? It's A Friday.. Oh! Lee, Martins' boy. Why don't you go with him for the day? He's right down the street. "

" I don't talk to Lee because he's an edge. And too creepy for his own good. " You ached to have a cigarette, but these days, if you lit one of those on fire in her house you'd be next. Just hearing that name made you want to smoke a whole box. Ugh, Lee was as a preppy as preppy went.

" Twenty and still having hen parties, " She waved her hands. " I want you to have fun, I do. But, Lee is a very good boy! He tells me all the time what- "

" Right - He says nothing to me. Just to you. " You shook your head. " Please, Mom, don't bother. He's weird- " He's about as tall and lanky as lurch from the Addams family. " - And his cologne smells like bathroom cleaner. "

" Ooh! You have to be nicer to men! They're very nice to you.. I'm warning you, in the future he surely wouldn't settle for an attitude like that.. " There it was, her pearls were finally clutched. You didn't hate boys, or men - not adequately enough at least. Lee, and Lee-like creatures however would be better suited marrying a nice Nun or maybe some other Catholic sister that didn't fancy doing anything other than praying and sleeping. He was so churchy that you were convinced that a clip of Anne Margaret's dancing would send him into a nervous, hateful stupor. - " Church men, they're always very traditional. "

You attempted to change the subject, not swayed at all. " Well, If it's alright, I'm going for a walk. I have to tell Lorelei that I'll be able to come. "
" Oh honey, You could just call? "
" You're always on the phone - Like you are right now. "
As if caught in a reddening secret, she plucked the receiver up from where it sat on the table.
" Oh! " She held her hand over the speaking end. " Be safe honey. "
" Good-bye. "
You dressed in a fashion that often confused your mother and peers as well. But it was all intentional - If you wanted to break out into a walk, then you were granted so with no difficulty. Ugh, everyone and the obsession with heels. Walking in them just hell.
The leaves crunched under your running shoes as you walked, and you watched them.

You strolled by people on the street with no care or even a passing glance. You were too busy thinking about the circumstances and why it felt so warm in October. Maybe it was because you weren't prancing around in one of those shirt dresses your friends always wore, too. It looked good on them, but did they seem bastardly cold.
"...[Name]! "
Oh, you knew that voice anywhere. It's like he could sense precisely the awkwardest moments to talk to you. Lee was like the boogeyman, standing on his front porch with the door open, looking lost.
" Hello. " You said silently, beginning to walk at an uncomfortably fast pace. Thankfully, Lorelei's house was on the opposite side of the street. It doubled as a lovely cave to dive into (to hide). It was right next to yours. And the best part, No boys allowed per her father's orders. You opened the door and closed it in record time.
" Lorelei! " At this point, everyone there was so close to you that it hardly mattered that you let yourself in. Lorelei, being blonde herself, looked unmistakably like her mother. But the height difference clued you into who you were behind. Her last name was something that escaped you, though. - " Hello, Mrs.. Is Lori here? "
" Hi dear. I'm sorry, she's out on a date with Marshall. Want to leave a note? "
" Date, " You chuckled. There were no shortage of people dating - especially in Lori's case. It was wonderful, each of her suitors just loved her and treated her well. And she gave you the gifts she didn't want.
" Yes, I'll leave a note. Do you have a pen, please? "
Mrs. left and came back with a dainty, yellow fountain pen. Which wouldn't be your first choice for writing such a short, sarcastic letter.
" You know, Marshall has a brother. Wouldn't a double date be nice? "
You smiled politely and scribbled down the few things off the top of your head, barely listening, " Wouldn't it? "

" I could bring that up, once she's home. "
" I'm okay. Thank you. "
" Oh, don't be so shy, girl. Are you atleast going to the party Friday? "
" Friday? " Friday? Your hen party day? " Me, Lor and Pam... And... Someone else - We were going to go to see a movie that day. "

" Hmm. Well it did come up very recently, but I know both Shanice and Tasha are going with their hunnies. And, Ugh! Lor just loves Shanice. Why shouldn't you go? "
She toyed with the jewelry on her neck, Beginning to speak in a more empathetic manner, " [Name], are you embarrassed that you won't have a date? "
It was impossible to not roll your eyes. Thankfully you were still looking down at your note. " I'm not the age of dating yet, Mrs. But I'll likely still go to the dance. "

" You're not the age of dating yet? Please, when I was your age I was pregnant. On my second child. "

The thought made you shiver. That's what you were afraid of. All you did was laugh and set her pen down. " Well thank you, I'll have to get home. Buh-bye now. "

" Have a good evening, Hun. And if you see her, Could you please tell Tasha that she left her shoes here? "
" Yes Ma'am. " You shut the door and unstraightened your posture, walking home very quietly.