12

The past few days had gone pretty well. Not only were you slowly scoping out the newest nicknacks you'd bought earlier, but it was snowing and beautiful outside. It truly was a day to remember.

Black, was all the eye could see across the horizon. It was turning dark at 5 or 6 - so at almost 9, it was imperative that you came home in a rush. It definitely wasn't getting any warmer.

At first you could try to stick it out, but nowadays.. oh, you hate to be around for this devious chill. That's partially the reason you don't understand your self-proclaimed "Boyfriend". After all, he'd be waiting for you in what's now considered the deep winter. Never cranky, never late. Always hopeful and full of awe at your mere return.

In car or on foot, no matter the circumstances. The only thing he says to you when you're very late is -- "Is everything okay? " in his deepest worry -- speckled with anger... but not impatience.

Purely out of pity, you've been trying not to make him wait. You wish you could hold onto rebellion and boundaries, but in an odd sense this little experiment has humanized him.

As you trail up on the street, you're much less off-put by his figure guarding the front door. It's all too pitiful to be angry about. The closer home was, the slower you walked.
This time, he was nervous and fumbling with his hands. The snow crunched under your heels each step taken forward, especially loud up the slight incline of the lawn.

He thought about how cute you looked all curled up in your scarf and coat, hair messy from the wind. Meanwhile, he looked frostbitten to the bone - cheeks deathly un-flushed, the cold having robbed all the colour away. Now he looked like a man.

" [Name]. " He spoke with proposition. There was an attempt to read your face, nerves frying in real time. Unbeknownst to you, obviously - You creeped up until you were face to face with him. Well, more explicitly face to chest. That was what you were at level with.

As a part of the normal daily ritual, you waited patiently for him to burn his inhibitions and spit out whatever flattering drivel he intended to plague you with. Yesterday's was short and sweet, so there was a bit more patience alotted for today. While the time passed for him to gather his confidence, you admired his blue button up sweater. It what he was wearing this morning. It was a soft, powdery shade - going well with his complexion. You studied it while he dropped his hands to his sides.

" I love you. " Lee blurted out, surprising you so badly you flinched. It was deceptively silent thereafter; he might've evaporated after he said it. If only that were the case.. Unfolding half-frozen, balled up hands in an actual attempt at regulating yourself. But said nothing, nothing at all.

He hoped the shock on your face would melt into a wonderful concoction of happiness and relief, but instead you stood frozen. Aloof, even. Then? You began to reanimate in a stiff, unnatural manner. Starting with the mouth and voice;

" B-.. But.. " You stuttered and teetered backward, as if struck right in the nose by a fist. In fact, those three words were what assaulted you so thoroughly. This was not your plan! This shouldn't have happened at all; you were supposed to placate him -- Yes, placate him, for another three months! What was this? Expectation? Intensity?! That was insane, you've had maybe 10 conversations in total.

This was too much. At the attempt to walk inside, you got through him an embarrassingly inadequate amount before being jerked backward. And his face was all the more unfriendly, hardened into that look he gives you whenever you slip up. It was fiery, full of what you could only think was hatred.

It was a terrible, terrible expression. It'd be the only thing that'd make you grateful for his love. He was one of those types that could close in on you no matter where you were. Eyes and brows lowered, jaw twitching.
What. Had. You. Done?!