9

From the shop window, you watched people gather up on the city streets, standing parralel to each-other on both sidewalks. It was very curious. You hadn't exactly inquired whether anything was going on this weekend, however, noone told you of any news. The magizine you were reading was tossed lazily to the side, as you stood and walked to the front door... Getting closer to the commotion hadn't answered any questions at all.

If you had to guess, there would be a parade. But not only was it the middle of a bastard chilly December, but it was also only maybe One or Two in the afternoon. You checked the store clock and looked under the counter for the newspaper. It was there, albeit heavily read and flipped open. Once it was in plain sight, you squinted your eyes at the front cover.

'LET US CELEBRATE!: ROUND OF TROOPS TO RETURN TO [CITY].

Get ready, because here they come! This wonderful week of December, we're honoring our overseas boys with a parade. This Saturday brings lots of food, entertainment and — their very own appearances all over each float! Beat the chill with a nice coat, folks, because we'll be celebrating 'til the dawn. [...]'

There was an honest attempt to keep things together, but you swallowed thickly at the implication. He might not be here this time. He could've died. Or even enjoyed South America, Korea, or anywhere much more  — So much so that he'd stay there forever. He should. Seeking resolve in the greenery or sandy desert, abandoning all work to be done. Yes, that was it..

You shouldn't have been this terrified, coming so close to the glass that each breath left a fog ring.

The sounds of trumpets filled the air, so loud you could hear it through the door, metallic drums' accompanying them in order.

Coming home was something he would've no doubt bragged about in a letter, that's for sure. At the peak of 3 years, you figured that he should've either grown up and pursued something different or...what. He had some signs of slowing up — as in, you haven't received a letter in a good while. But pumping the breaks is never a complete definitive stop. Every silver lining that tried to show itself seemed improbable in the grand scheme of things.

Terror wasn't that strong of a word for this. Your senses were ignited like charcoal as the floats with men dressed in dark camouflage came into vision, adorned with them waving or just laughing.

The circumstances overwhelmed you greatly. What did he want now? Did he even want anything? That was impossible to know. Maybe he'd be disinterested in the difference you've created over the years. They say a girl hardly changes from highschool, but that's all mindless drivel. Sure, a girl wouldn't.. but a woman does. The years have painted a complex and intricate picture on you.

As each monument passed, you somehow managed to be winded down and right back up again. He was nowhere to be seen for the time-being, which was relatively good. A pleasant surprise, surely. It got you to thinking more of what that entailed. Dead or gone.

IF he did die, and that's IF, then it was plenty surprising that he didn't tell the forces you were his wife. That'd be a Lee move to pull - having an officer show up to your house to tell you that the nut perished in battle. Going Boo-hoo up and down the lawn until he had to go tell someone else a similar thing. Or maybe in his last breaths he wised up, spilling the truth.

After the roller coaster of emotions you were forced on, you were glad that your shift was due to end. Coming in at Six and staying until Two. He was earnestly half man half plague at this point, the way he made you forget you were even at work.

Departing tasks for the store were plenty simple. No-one was there to purchase any services, all who inhabit the place were busy with the festival. So there wasn't even any cash register duties to fulfill. All you did was wait for next shift's woman to come in before exiting to your car.