13

The next week was spent similarly. Unceremoniously, and very regular. You wished there was some magical way to spice the day up or switch bodies with someone interesting, but alas, it was the middle of winter. And it got dark before you'd even make it home.l from work.

So it was all wake, eat, work and sleep. The winter months were almost a pain in the mundanity. Thankfully at the end of the month, you'll be 4/5ths at your monetary goal to move out. Just the thought warmed your cheeks up and made you smile, even as you were brushing your hair for work.

God, you couldn't believe it. Your own apartment...! Far away from here! God, it was wonderful. To celebrate, you picked a[shade] lipstick to compliment your features, pairing it with shoes of the same colors. You couldn't do much with this uniform, but at-least this breath of fresh air made all the difference.

With February showing it's skin in nearly two weeks, you were hoping it would finally warm up a little bit. This chill outside was like permanent, and each instance that your stockinged leg met it for the first time, you wanted to retract back inside.

" I'm going to work! " You called to your parents. You had no idea whether they were home or not, anyway, it didn't matter much. Just one happy thought had turned your entire morning around, and you walked with a pep in your step. Not only that, but you recognize ld that long golden hair anywhere, walking up to her house.

" Lorelei! " You waved. She looked up from where she was in the door way, and visibly recoiled, sulking back into her house like she saw a ghost. Confused, you made an actual effort to look around incase there was something you didn't see. But it was nothing.

After checking the time, you decided that it wouldn't hurt to see the jif. Maybe it was a part of a game or some of those dramatics she liked to pull on the occasion.

Cutting through the snow and coming up to her, bits and snowflakes clung to the sides of your pumps and wet the ankle of your stocking. There was an effort made to swipe some of it off before climbing up the stone walkway.

Holding in a sigh, you used their new knocker and waited patiently, looking around. It took something like 5 minutes, but her father answered the door, keeping it cracked quite small.

" Hello, Mr. Powers. May I talk to Lorelei, please? "

" I'm afraid she's busy right now. Maybe tomorrow? "

" Oh. " You furrowed your eyebrows on command, but really,

She has never been busy! Ever! She's taken you with her to the dentist, to the beauty salon, invited you to just about every party, a few first dates, and used to call your house like her life depended on it. What was this 'busy' he spoke of? " Okay. Thank you. "

You stepped back from the porch and went back to walking to work. When you peeked over through his place at the door, Lori was right there – staring, just over his shoulder.

This jacket had pockets made specifically for your hands, they cradled them in warmth instantaneously every time you put them in. You couldn't stop thinking about the look Lore gave you. Just, why? And the whole hiding behind her father thing? Was she in trouble? She was an adult woman... and if she were to be in trouble for something, she'd be in trouble for the things she did in high school... but her parents were never quite the punishing type.

The general meaning of it was too not yet decided. You hadn't spoken to her in maybe 4 or 5 days, that's longer than you'd normally go without seeing each-other. She had called, had a nice, long conversation with you.. Laughed, joked, said Hello and Goodbye and the works. Didn't hang up until you did.