2

You were listening to baseball outside when your mother came out. She shielded her face with the newspaper, mercilessly reaching out and turning the game right off.

" Yes? "

" See - You have a letter. "
You checked the radio and sighed a very silent but overdramatic sigh. A letter on a Friday morning, why, that couldn't have been good news. Eyes trailing down to see who it was from, you soon realized that It was none other than Lee. Classic act, here returns Man of year.

LEEROY J. MARTINS
337 FAIRECREEK LANE

With his entire address written plain as day. It was a little confusing how stupid he was. He could've hand delivered a note if he wanted to, or even talked to you in person. If you hadn't run, that is... Haha. Your smile dropped instantly upon seeing your school photo cut out and taped at the top of the paper. A purple flower was hand-printed next to it.

Right under, there were lines of words;

'"Light is sweet; how pleasant to see a new day dawning." - Ecclesiastes 11:7 NLT

GOOD MORNING [NAME],

It's me, Lee Martins. If I do recall, we went to [School] together. However, we've exchanged pleasantries plenty of times since then.'

What you felt for him was hardly pleasant.

'As you may know, I've been discussing marriage heavily with your mother and father, and have gotten thorough blessings. I'm a good man, very strong, soon to work in the armed forces.

I've had all of my shots, and I'm a well mannered, god-fearing gentleman. This I discussed as well with your parents, but I would like to take you as a date to the get-together at the Miriage this Friday night. I should pick you up at 7, after work for me.
If you consider it, please let me know.

MY PHONE NUMBER IS 9XX-XXXX, My mother would be elated to finally speak to you.'

He had the writing of a looney 80 year old man. It was so close together and small yet the way he wrote made it seem like he was gripping the pen for dear life. This letter was..Not presently welcomed. It combined with outside forces was driving you near mad - You'd scream if you could. It seemed lover boy was just immune to any of the mean words you've said before, and that each new day meant that he should try his old tricks yet again. Yeah, you could scream all right; You will finally hear me, damn it!

It took a few days for the letter to come, which meant Lee hopefully received an unintentional hint that you weren't going with him, as you avoided him like the plague anyway.

This whole ordeal led you to believe that he was a dramatic man. And because of that, it would be near impossible to respect or love him the way he wanted - Even if all of these things disappeared. (Him staring at you always, talking to your father so much he thought he was a salesman, sending you these... letters.) You would no doubt still just be able to smell the drama wafting off of his person like smoke.

" Hey, girly. " Your dad called from inside. Your mom was putting food on the table, in her own world. " Why don't you eat something before your little party? "

" Oh, [Father's Name]. A girl should never eat before she puts on a dress! "

You were already halfway into spooning some to your mouth, uncaring for whatever that entailed.
" Well. You could always use my Spanx, dear. "

" Oh, I'll live. After all, I'm not wearing a tight dress. " And the food was actually good this time. In circumstances unforeseen, this made her tempered. She rose her eyebrows and tilted her head as if you cursed her outwardly. Wasn't it the 'thing' to be modest? They were always getting on you for these quote unquote short shorts, but somehow a short, tight dress was just peachy. " Why don't you wear something, flattering? Form-fitting isn't a crime, honey. Just don't over-do it. "