5

After that, you'd reciever a letter via mail every three days no matter the situation or circumstance. But you never saw Him outside. Hopefully he was nursing a broken foot. Serves him right.

It was admittedly macabre to think this way, but after all of that.. you were almost refreshed. Violence wasn't the most mature or sane way to handle it.. but what else were you supposed to do? Those eyes.. he looked like he wanted to eat you. It was hardly self-defense, bordering more on common sense.

It had been a week and a half since the incident, and you have 5 letters at your disposal, none of them peered at yet. You would go insane trying to read his stupid rants and sermons. What the fool did best was cast words unto all. It was an unfortunate turn of events that you were a casualty of this holy beam.

Now that it was November, you had your fingers crossed about college. If you could just go to University, all of this would just be forced to go away. Because there'd be a missing component in it all..

" Ooohh [Name]—! " Your mother called, sashaying it with a stack of brightly-colored clothing. " Yes—? " You mocked the woman's intonation, putting down the book you were idly staring at.

" Dinner's ready. " The woman spun, going directly back down to the rest of the house. As you cascaded downstairs, you couldn't help humming the song stuck your head - whether it be from Leslie Gore or Dodie Stevens.

" Mom, do you think I'm being a Shut-in? "

" In what way? " The idle clammer of hangers could be heard. She had no doubt just blew a stack on some fresh clothes for this coming winter.

" When I tell people about not liking Lee, they think there's something wrong me — Even you treat me like it's a moral flaw. "

" Well, Look at it like this; We are raised to treat people they way we want to be treated.. and to be fair, you may come off as a tad selfish... You.. don't bend very easily, dear. "

" I find that to be a good thing. " The lazy-chair was very comfortable, you sunk right in every time you sat. " Well, I wouldn't want anyone leading me on or pretending that they liked me back. So the truth is what comes out. "

" Some people value other people's feelings over reality. Don't be saddened by it, I don't think what you did was bad, either — I think you could've been nicer, but... " A sigh flew from her lips.

It would pain your greatly if she found out what exactly you did to him. If you applauded him for anything, it was at-least keeping his mouth shut while he healed up. Maybe he was scared you'd knock him again. That'd teach him to put his hands on a woman..

" Dinner, " She reminded you. You shot up and went to the kitchen, and instantly groaning when being met with this jello-stuff again.

" Why is it in jello? "

" You don't like it? "

" No. " You and your Dad answered at the same time, and looked at each-other with sullen faces.

" Whaat? It's a fun option, low cal.. Oh! You two are impossible. Take it or leave it. "

Four three hours that night, two plates of food sat completely untouched.

~

There was a knock on the bedroom door. The time read 9:23, which was uncharacteristically late for your parents to bother.

Once you turned the knob, there stood your father this time with a note. Not a letter, a fully unmarked piece of paper. He didn't even say anything to accompany what he brought.
Receiving it between unsure fingers, you closed the door right after. Obviously it was from your suitor, but it was short and seemingly meaningless.

'[NAME],

I'VE BEEN DRAFTED, PLEASE SEE ME AT THE SHOP CENTER TOMORROW.

LEE'

There were no plans to fulfill it. Really, what would you be able to tell him that would comfort him?

It was more proper to stay away altogether, lest you let it slip that you were ecstatic and filled with joy knowing he would leave for at-least half a year. It was a minuscule part of your psyche, and in that way, could you be blamed for it? It despised Lee.

He shouldn't die.. Noone in war should die, though. Alas, he'd be far away enough for things to look up for you. This was not your fault nor his. And the morality of the matter lay not in your hands, but the government's.

Maybe you'd even get a date without him pretending to be your boyfriend constantly.