Chapter 23°

Chapter 23° When the curtains lift

oOoOoOo

Only a few hours had passed since Sirius and Carrie had kissed and danced the night away. It has only been a few hours but apparently those had been enough to create a whole new day. A day that promised to break hearts in one way or the other.

However, Carrie knew none of that yet as she woke up from the greatest sleep of her life. It had felt like it to Carrie. Not that she would ever admit it, but she had dreamed of Sirius. Dreamed of Sirius and her together. Of them dancing, singing, kissing. She had dreamed of it all. And therefor the silent smile was evident on her face for the following hour after waking up. She showered and got ready and day-dreamed in thought of the previous day. She was lightheaded to say the least.

Though this momentum was not to hold up for much longer.

oOoOoOo

"You have to tell her, Sirius!" Remus exclaimed loudly at his friend, who had his head in his hands.

The marauders were almost on their way to the great hall for the grand feast that was supposed to follow the valentines ball. They were almost out the door when they overheard some Gryffindors talking about a bet.

"Poor Carrie." They had whispered. "Black really is the biggest jerk. She should have known better though."

And then they realized. They knew what had happened. Not how or when but each of the boys knew that word about their bet had been spread. The bet that had been seemingly so long ago that they'd almost forgotten about. The bet that was not even present anymore. That wasn't true. But now it had gotten out and there was nothing they could do to change it. The damage had been done.

"You have to tell her about the bet yourself. Its already bad that she has to find out today, but if she's told by someone else- I don't think - She shouldn't have find out that way." A pained expression had formed on Remus' face. There was a knot in his stomach that wasn't going to untie. Because he knew that a person he cared about dearly was going to get hurt within a few hours. And it was partially his fault.

However, that was nothing compared to what was going on in Sirius' head. And his heart. His face had turned the palest shade of grey when he realized that probably the whole castle knew about the terrible mistake he had made a few months prior. He couldn't think straight or form a decent word. There was nothing within him but fear. Nothing but angst and anxiety. He hadn't known this feeling to the day. Had never felt the terror that comes when you're likely to lose someone important. So lose someone you love. Sirius had never felt it and he was glad he hadn't. But now there was not going back. No way to turn back time.

"I- I can't-l" he stuttered, his hands shaking slightly as he ran them through his hair. "She'll hate me."

James smiled sadly at his friends. "She'll hate you either way, Padfoot. She'll hate all of us and we deserve every second of it. But you should be the one to tell her about this . We know that the bet hadn't been important for you anymore. It hasn't for a long time. But she and no-one else in this castle don't know that. So you have to tell her before someone else does."