Gran!Jessica Lange x Reader

This is kind of based of of my late grans reaction to me coming out, she did accept me but it took her a while so.... enjoy!

Y/n's POV

Biting my lip as I read over the email my drama teacher has sent out to everyone in my class I groan when I see that she's attached a sign up sheet to the email and hover my mouse over it. Do I really want to sign up and audition for a part in Romeo and Juliet? I mean it might bring me and grandma closer again but I already have so much going on. What with nationals coming up for gymnastics, the next stage of the dance competition and swimming and track practice there's barely enough time to breathe as it is so do I really want to add more pressure onto everything? Do I really want to risk burning myself out just to try and get closer to grandma again? I think to myself as I move my mouse around the screen when it starts to dim and jump slightly when I feel a hand rest on my shoulder making me turn my head to see who it is and offer uncle Sammy a small smile. "Hey uncle Sammy, I thought that you and grandma weren't coming round till dinner?" I say as I move my laptop onto the table for now and he chuckles as he comes to sit beside me, pulling me into his side making me groan slightly but settle into his side anyway.

"I thought that I'd come over early to see if there was anything I could help your mum with but she shooed me out of the kitchen before I could even open my mouth to ask." He says and I laugh at that as I play with one of the buttons on his shirt.

"Yeah don't ever try to help mum in the kitchen or you will get shooed out and if you go back in be prepared for her to throw something at you. Me and dad learnt that the hard way." I tell him and he laughs as he plays with my hair making me sigh happily as I relax into his side more. "Is grandma still coming for dinner tonight?" I ask after a moment as I pull myself out of his side to look at him and he nods with a smile.

"She should be here in the next few minutes darling." He says and I grin at that making him sigh as he brushes my hair out of my face and I know that he's seen through my act. "I'm guessing that things are still weird between you two?"

"That's an understatement uncle Sammy, it's like I don't even exist to her sometimes. I get that she might not fully accept me coming out as a lesbian but I'm still her granddaughter, that hasn't changed. It's just... I used to be so close with her and now it feels like I mean nothing to her and it fucking sucks." I admit as I look down at my hands with a tear rolling down my cheek but I'm quick to wipe it away when I hear a car door close outside and he just offers me a small smile as I get up from the sofa. Walking into the kitchen I smile at mum when she glares at me and raise my hands up as I move over to the fridge to get a drink. "Don't worry I'm not going to offer you any help you, you mad woman. I just need to get a drink before I see grandma." I tell her and she sighs as she motions for me to go over to her which I happily do, I might very well be sixteen but I'm never going to pass up an opportunity to hug my mum.

"It'll get better sweetheart, just give her some time to warm up to the whole thing and she'll be back to normal in no time." Mum says into my hair and I sigh at that while shaking my head because it's already been six months since I had come out and up until now there had been no imporvement whatsoever. "I know that it hurts baby but it will get better, I promise you." She whispers and I really wish that I could believe her but it's so hard to at the moment.

"Hey! How come I got shooed away but she gets hugged! That's just favouritism." Uncle Sammy exclaims as he comes into the kitchen with grandma making me laugh as I pull away from mum to look at him and simply stick my tongue out at him. "Can anyone get in on this hug or is it strictly between you two?"

"She gets hugged because she's my daughter and you got shooed away because last time you offered to help in my kitchen you completely ruined dinner." Mum says as she pulls me back into her making me laugh as I try to get away form her but she just tightens her hold on me making grandma chuckle slightly. "Right misses, go tidy away your school work and then go get ready for dinnner. I'm just about to serve everything out and I want to hear all about your latest track meet, you've yet to tell me about how it went." She tells me as she kisses my cheek and I nod with a smile as I start to leave the kitchen only for it to fall when grandma steps out of my way when I go to greet her. Dropping my head to hide the tears in my eyes I quickly gather all my things except for my laptop and run upstairs to my room where I place everything on my desk before moving into the bathroom to wash my hands. Going back downstairs after getting my emotions under control I take my seat inbetween mum and grandma at the dining table and silently start eating as I listen to mum and uncle Sammy talking until the attention is turned to me.