Mum!Diane Sherman x Reader

I've had this idea in my head of a rehabilitated Diane and how she would have acted if she had an older child. It does obviously talk about child loss, kidnapping and drugging so again please don't read if this makes you uncomfortable. Your comfort is my main concern really.

Y/n's POV

Sitting outside the psychiatric hospital I don't know whether this is a good idea or not as I look back at my sleeping girl. I know that the doctors have been working us towards the day where mum was mentally stable enough to be around not just me but my daughter as well but after everything that's happened I'm scared that she's manipulated them into thinking she can handle this when she can't. I knew after she lost the baby that she wasn't all there anymore, she used to be so hands on with me and she used to treat me like I was her reason for living but after my little sister died... it was like I had personally killed her. She never hurt me, not physically anyway, and unlike what she had done with Chloe she had never once drugged me but it was evident that she hated me. Even after she adopted, kidnapped Chloe she was never really my mum again and I never understood why. Sighing to myself as I look back at the hospital before getting out of the car and lift Isla out of the car, situating the sleeping girl on my hip before making my way inside with a shaky breath. "Miss Sherman! It's so lovely to see you again and I see you brought little Isla with you this time." The receptionist, Linda, says with a bright smile and I nod as I press my lips together making her smile falter slightly. "If you don't feel comfortable taking her to see your mum then I'd be more than happy to look after her until you're ready." She offers and I close my eyes against the sting of tears making her sigh as she comes round to hug me.

"It's not that I don't want her to meet mum, she's still her grandma but... mum's good at manipulating people. She made me believe that she adopted Chloe and she manipulated Chloe into thinking she was ill for eighteen years. I'm scared that she's not actually ready for this and that any progress she's actually made will crumble when she sees my daughter. I can't be responsible for her having another psychotic break." I tell her as Isla wakes up and groans as she cuddles into me more making me kiss the top of her head softly. "She's already waiting for us isn't she?" I ask when I see doctors leaving her room and she nods with a smile making me nod slightly.

"She is and she's been so excited about today, there's no faking that amount of excitement y/n." She tells me and I nod as I finally sign in before slowly making my way towards her room, knocking on the door lightly before opening it.

"Y/n! I was starting to think that you weren't going to come, is everything alright?" Mum asks quickly and as I look at her I see something I haven't seen since I was six, my mum. The woman that treated me like a princess and ran around with me for hours at a time. "Oh and look at little Isla, oh she's so big now y/n. She looks so much like you did at that age." She says as she steps closer to us but I stop her when I see a slightly manic look come back into her eyes and hold my hand up making her face fall as tears spring to her eyes and that's the last thing I wanted. "You don't trust me."

"I do, I trust you but I don't trust the look in your eyes. I know that look mum, I've lived with that manic look in your eyes for twenty six years and I know what it means." I tell her and she looks at me for a moment before dropping her head and despite my better judgement I step slightly closer to her making her look up at me. "I need you to be honest with me here mum, no lying and no trying to manipulate me into believing you. Are you honestly ready for this?" I ask her and she looks between me and Isla silently for a long moment, her mind racing most likely before she nods slowly. Watching as she closes her eyes I smile when I see her entire posture relaxing and carefully reach out to take her hand in mine which makes her open her eyes with a small smile.

"I'm ready but... I'm scared. What if I hurt her like I hurt you? I was a bad mum, what's stopping me from being a bad grandma?" She asks so quietly and I shake my head at that as I press my lips together.