8

Kanimozhi

After expending a short time period on the flight, we launched in Chennai. From there on, we hop in mama's car, and at present, we both are on our way to mama's house.

I've visited it often with Mom.

But this time, I'm getting there alone with her permanently gone from me. She is always in my mind and it hurts me immensely while I try to accept the fact that I cannot behold her ever again in this life. She has disappeared from this world forever...

Tears cloud my eyes instantly and I rub it away before mama can glimpse my way. We were seated in the back seat and the driver uncle was toiling to take us to our destination through the hectic traffic.

Mama is browsing something on his phone intently and he looks distressed.

"Mama," He darts his eyes to me and regards me blankly. "Hands up," I urge and he stares at me confusedly.

"Why?" He puts forth, sounding perplexed.

"Mama!" I whine, pouting sadly at his defiance. "Your words make no sense Mozhi. Why should I raise my hands?" His tone is quite cold.

Done with his non compliance and questioning, I stoop my body back and push his hand away before laying my head on his lap. Mama only shakes his head barely and gets back his attention to his phone.

Laying on my mama's lap isn't a new thing. Yet what's odd now is that mama's hand doesn't band around my waist as it usually does. He is using his phone with his right hand and the left is slung against the head portion of the seat.

I felt saddened by his distinct demeanor but didn't enquire him about the same. 

I knew that certain things are ought to be changed when we marry and one of them would be his distance from me physically. Even though I've already anticipated this, I couldn't help but feel disheartened by his reluctance to touch me freely as he did before our marriage...

Sighing out gloomily, I shut my eyes and nap serenely on his lap. However, I was soon awakened by my mama. "We've reached," rubbing my sleepy eyes, I slowly lift my body and yawn in exhaustion due to the commutation.

"Come," I wearily exit the car, following my mama. He walks in hurry strides and I irritatedly gaze at him, jealous of the energy he has. Even the driver uncle who drags the luggage in is sauntering ahead of me.

Feeling my head dizzy as a result of the unsatiated nap I had, I crankily amble towards the main door. This house is literally a mini-mansion, painted in the contrasting color of black and white. The interior of the house is exceptionally tidy and sometimes, it makes me wonder whether mama is really residing in here.

"I'm going to sleep, mama

"I'm going to sleep, mama..." I say in a slur as I steer to reach the room in downstairs where I usually used to stay whenever I visit here with my mom.

"Have the lunch before resting Mozhi," Mama orders while engaging all his interest to that phone. He is now reclined on the couch in the lounge, appearing vexed.

"I've ordered food Mozhi. Have it and then sleep, okay? I need to be in the office now..." I nod my head as mama hastily leaves the home with the driver.

Being in this huge house alone is making me feel lonely. I play with my hair and slant against the couch till the food arrives by. The security guard uncle of the house provides me with the packed food and smiles at me.

"Had your food!?" I question him, mirroring his smile.

"Yes ma," he nods his head and excuses himself from the house. As he disappears, I walk to the dining area and start to unwrap the cover. It was chicken biriyani and there was only one pack. And so, I part the biriyani in the middle and place it on a plate, and store it in the refrigerator for mama to have.

I had the other half quietly and entered the room, falling into slumber as soon as my body grazed the mattress.

"Mozhi," It was my mama. My senses click open at his soothing voice and I awake from the deep slumber that I've plummeted in. Mama is in a white t-shirt and black pants with a cup clasped in his hand.

"Did you have lunch mama? I kept half the portion of the biriyani in the refrigerator for you to consume," I ask as I straighten myself on the bed. "I had it Mozhi. Have this coffee," he forwards the mug to me and I receive it from him carefully.

"What do you want for dinner?" He asks with a poker face. "I will cook mama, you rest!" Mama shakes his head. "No, I will cook today," he says conclusively. "Fine, you decide what to cook mama..." I mumble a dull response before beginning to sip on the coffee mug.

"Okay then..." He trails off and walks off the room while I squint my eyes, displeased by his robot-like behavior.

He acts this way to other people but never to me or my mother. Thus seeing him being so distant is hurting me. Well, what could I expect out of him when I tortured and blackmailed him to make this huge and quick decision to marry me?

The fault is at my end...

________________________