17

Parthiban

Running a hand through my hair, I sleepily swing the duvet off from my body and hop down the bed. For the past week, I couldn't sleep well due to Mozhi's continuous knocking and pestering to let her in. The last day I had inserted earpods in my ears and played songs to tune out her habitual action of disturbing me.

At the remembrance of earpods, I turn to the mattress and gather them before placing it safely inside its carrier. Then I use the bathroom and freshen up, wearing my formal, white button-up shirt, black pants, and black coat.

Fastening the watch around my wrist, I exit the room and was stunned by the view of Mozhi sleeping on the floor. "Mozhi!" I hastily kneel beside her and wake her up by tapping on her cheeks. Her cheeks are hot and she looks sick!

"Are you insane!?" I shout as she opens her eyes. How could she go to this extent just to get inside my room? I'm extremely resentful at the act that has now lead to her gaining a fever.

Tiredly, Mozhi raises and I assist her in sitting up and slanting against the wall. Her eyes are hooded and it seems as though she has cried profusely. But why would she? "Putting your health at risk merely to get inside my room is a very dumb thing to do Mozhi," she looks at me wearily and her eyes begin to produce tears.

Her lips bulge and I can discern how she tries to prevent the tears but they flow continuously from her eyes. I become concerned at her wailing state and cup one of her cheeks.

"Don't scold..." She grips at my wrist and cries into my palm. "I won't anymore..." I melt at her pitiful voice and embrace her in a hug. She buries her face into my chest and weeps heavily...

"Mozhi ma..." I call her, dubious due to her uncontrollable tears. Did I go overboard? Has my chastising been the reason for her current condition? But it can't be...

It doesn't appear so.

"I had a nightmare the past night mama...and Mom was constantly on my mind..." She sniffs and says between her tears.

"I couldn't sleep alone there...it was scary mama. That's why I came looking for you and I knocked on your door and called out..." Her cries ascend and she tightens her hold around me. Guilt starts swirling within my heart as I heed her perspective. It was my fault.

"You never opened..." She hiccups amidst her never-ending tears and proceeds. "I was terrified to go down again and I stayed here itself," she then perks up into my eyes, "I'm not lying mama..." I grasp the back of her neck and dip her into my chest, shattered internally by the pain I had unknowingly inflicted on my niece.

I failed to be there for her when she needed me the most. It was more than enough for me to feel like a jerk!

"I'm sorry," I blurt out, my eyes stinging due to my negligence to protect her. Mozhi lifts her body and re-adjusts her head in the crook of my neck, banding her hands around me rigidly.

Understanding her unsaid request, I snake my hands on her waist and stand on my foot with my Mozhi clinging to me. I then saunter to her room in downstairs and let her stand in front of the mirror in the restroom. "Brush and refresh okay? I will prepare the breakfast and after having it, you should take medications for the fever and rest well. You don't need to attend the class today," I touch her cheeks and rub away the tears as I speak and I sense Mozhi leaning her head onto my palm.

Moved by her gesture, I near her and press my lips against her forehead. It wasn't a kiss given with any romantic intentions. "Sorry ma..." I whisper as I rest my chin on top of her head with one of my hands sliding on her waist.

"It's okay mama..." Her voice is low and shaky. "You will be alright by yourself, right? Or do I need to be here with you?" I ask while separating myself from her and peeking at her wandering eyes.

"I...will be fine mama, you shall go," she blurts out softly and refuses to glance at me. "Seri (okay)" I pat her head before excusing myself from the restroom.

Eventually, I prepared the food and awaited Mozhi's arrival. She came outside her room while speaking to someone on the phone. Decked out in a blue t-shirt and black knee-length shorts, she looked adorable as always.

She disconnects the call when she nears the dining table and sits next to me. "Who was it?" I question, raising an eyebrow at her. "My friend Priya..." I nod and begin to feed her the food.

Halfway through, her phone rings again and I see the familiar name 'Sam' on the screen. I have no idea why but I don't like my niece being associated with any males with the exception being me.

"Attend after the meals," I sternly say to my niece who had already accepted the call. Giving me a cautious and apologetic look, she latches the phone to her ear and converses with him.

I could hear his worried voice and words filled with affection. My jaw clenches involuntarily as she speaks with him and I wait grumpily till she disconnects the call.

"He was just checking in on me..." Mozhi speaks up after placing the mobile on the table. "I heard it," I utter in a foul mood which earns me a small smile from Mozhi.

Huh?

Dismissing her expression, I resume feeding her. "How is his character?" I query, unable to stop my thoughts from going berserk. "Very sweet and caring mama! His future wife is going to be the most luckiest girl in this world," she dreamily mutters and I annoyedly stuff her mouth with food.

This is bad. I shouldn't be this possessive towards my niece. Though I argued with her to not date, I'm not really in a position to control her decisions...unless I accept her as my wife which I cannot do either!

But seeing the changes in me, I can conclude that the track I'm going in leads to a place that I so despise and was reluctant to let myself feel.

Yet here I am.

Incapable of regulating my path even after being aware of the destination.

A few minutes later, Mozhi completes the breakfast and I notice some remnants of the food being stuck onto the corner of her lips. I casually raise my hands and wipe at the corner of her lips...

And was shocked when Mozhi jerks up and broadens her eyes at me. I blink at her in oblivion whereas she quickly runs away from me.

Is she by chance affected by my touch?

That's not good...

_________________________