29

Kanimozhi

Rosing from the bed with a small smile on my face, I turn towards my dozing mama and plop a kiss on his forehead. I can't describe in words the amount of love I have for him.

If I could, I would squeeze him inside my heart and keep him safely there. That's the kind of affection I possess for him...

I could detect in his demeanor the effort he puts to control himself around me. I didn't want to make it more hard for him. He doesn't need to wait for plenty of days to kiss me. He can have me whenever he pleases so. Yet I understand why he's refraining himself. He probably thinks that I might change my mind after a few years and leave him.

Silly him...

If that's the case, I wouldn't have married him in the first place. I know the worth of the sacred union, that is, marriage, and the value of love. He is the only one for me in this life of mine and I'm the only one for him.

I did waver a bit when the senior brother told me about the demerits of a lengthy age-gap marriage but I soon realized that my heart would never be able to quit loving him.

I'll embrace his changes and adore him in every stage of his life.

Sighing a breath, I slid off the bed carefully to not wake my mama and moved towards the closet. Withdrawing my clothes and other essentials, I leave to the room downstairs so as to not disturb his sleep. It's still too early in the morning.

Intruding into the restroom, I undo my clothes and stare at my reflection in the mirror. I look the same as I did when I was in high school. I want to become a woman...

Shaking my head slightly, I get on with brushing. Then I shower using my sandalwood soap to cleanse myself. A while later, I come out of the restroom, put on a maroon churidar, and tie the towel on my hair.

The day was quite chilly and as I step into the living room, birds starts to produce sweet sounds, indicating the emergence of the sun.

Listening to those comforting songs of birds, I arrive at the kitchen and begin to prepare the preliminaries for cooking the breakfast.

Halfway through, the light sneaks into our home, brightening up the white floor with yellowish luminescence. Along with it, appears my Parthi mama who ruffles his hair sleepily while lowering the stairs.

He looks beyond handsome to my eyes. I don't know why but after 'him' happened in my life, I couldn't find anyone else as attractive as him.

No matter what mood he was in, grumpy, happy, sad, angry, frustrated, or distressed, he always seemed ethereal to me.

"Why are you up so early?" His lazy morning voice tightens something in my stomach and I clear my throat a bit before replying. "Simply mama..." He frowns at me mildly and then goes to unlock the main door of our home.

After letting the breeze in, he saunters back to our room. In the meantime, I focus on preparing idiyappam and coconut milk.

To make idiyappam, the rice flour mixed with water has to be sprung out through a container that consists of several little holes. I have no idea why the container's handle is way too tight. Sighing out a tired breath, I grip the container tightly using one hand, and the other hand ventures to twirl the rigid handle around to let the flour come out through the tiny round cavity in noodle shape and plummet on each of four moulds of idiyappam set, which is already been filled with a small amount of grated coconut and oil.

 Sighing out a tired breath, I grip the container tightly using one hand, and the other hand ventures to twirl the rigid handle around to let the flour come out through the tiny round cavity in noodle shape and plummet on each of four moulds of id...

Oil helps the flour to be not stuck in the maker when it is let to be cooked.

"Mozhi ma, move I'll help," I look up to find my mama, dressed up in his formals, a light maroon shirt and black pants. His black coat is hung on his shoulder and he places it on the couch as he walks to me.

"The handle is being too stubborn to move around," I complain when Mama grabs the container in his hand. "I will take care of it, what's the side dish?" He quirks his eyebrows.

"Coconut milk! I will prepare it. I've grated the coconut already, now I just have to extract the milk from it," I explain and Mama nods to me before concentrating on the work in his hand.

My eyes broaden as I witness Mama effortlessly circling the handle. Huffing at the differences in our strength, I annoyedly focus on squeezing out the coconut milk.

When everything was set and Mama places the idiyappam set inside the pressure cooker without the whistle, I start to prepare tea.

Momentarily, as I wait for the milk to boil, I feel Mama behind me. His breath fans over my cheeks and I feel his lips pressing a kiss there. It evokes butterflies in my stomach...

Staring up at him, I smile softly and kiss on his lush beard. Then he wraps his hand around my waist and we both stand there in peaceful silence.

A few minutes later, we both had breakfast together and I packed some food in a tiffin box for Priya. She often says that she misses home-cooked food...

Subsequently, as usual, Mama drove me to the college and we didn't find the need to communicate with each other throughout the ride. However, we shared a few glances and until then I didn't know people could converse through eyes as smoothly as in words. But it needs an in-depth understanding between the couple I presumed...

Eventually, while dropping me off, Parthi mama kisses my forehead but I crash my lips over his before hopping out of the car.

He was startled but I saw his blushing self when I pulled away.

____________________________

There will be a time skip in the next chapter.