Chapter 28

Logan

The look on Sage's face is a picture, her jaw is so far open it's almost skimming the floor. I wink at her. She scowls back at me. Her mother brings me a slice of cake and a nice mug of coffee. It's sure good to be back in this house, it's been an awfully long time.

"You sit down, Logan make yourself at home." She tells me fussing around.

"Thank you. I don't mind if I do." Sage folds her arms across her chest.

"You don't need to be here. Haven't you got better things to do with your evening?"

"Not really, although I am going over to the Lazy Duke later to play a set. You feel up to coming?" I ask her before I take a bite of the delicious cake. It melts in my mouth. Her mother really is the best at baking.

"Oh, Sage what a brilliant idea. You can sit on the sofa they have and prop your foot up there."

"I am not going out mom. Besides, I'd rather chat to Hazel and catch up with her."

"Nonsense, you need to get out a bit more." Her mother says much to Sage's chagrin.

"God help me already. I am not stepping foot in the Lazy Duke. The whole town knows I was airlifted today for an itsy bitsy sprained ankle. I can't be doing with everyone talking to me about it. I'll be the laughing stock."

"I don't think people are laughing, Sage. It could have been an awful lot worse." I say earnestly. There have been some serious accidents up on the trail and only last year a young guy fell off the edge. Thankfully, his fall was braced by the branches of a tree. It saved his life. "Accidents happen." I finish off the cake and drink my coffee. It is getting on and I ought to be making my way to the bar. I've got Hector in the car who will be coming with me. He's a regular there too although he does spend most of his time with Abe's cat, Molly a cute little black and white thing who he rescued from one of his barns out the back.

"I don't care. I'm not going." There you go, she's being her usual stubborn self.

"You're going to have to get out a bit more especially since you don't have anywhere else to go right now." Her mother says who is now seated in a chair opposite me. She winks. I smile. If I didn't know her better, I'd say she is trying to play matchmaker. Who can blame her really. I heard through the mother's grapevine that she didn't care much for that Miles guy much who Sage was shacked up with. Apparently, he wasn't the right man for her daughter.

I daresay she had the whole marriage for Sage and I planned ever since we were about fifteen. I know my mother did and when Sage made her grand decision she was so hurt and disappointed. She wasn't the only one who needed consoling. For a split second anger riles through my body but then I glance over at Sage and am reminded of exactly why I fell in love with her in the first place with her voluminous eyes, dark hair hanging over her shoulders and a the face of a Botticelli. Don't start running away with yourself, I am not saying I am in love with Sage right now, but okay – I sure as hell want to get to know her all over again.

We have got a lot of ground to cover. Ten whole years. Her tastes may have changed. Although I bet she is still nuts for reading those romance books of hers. It makes me smile.

"What are you smiling at? Do you like seeing me in discomfort and why can't you just go away?" I chuckle.

"Sage." Her mother says sternly. "Don't be so rude to Logan. He's come here to see how you are doing and this is how you treat guests? Honestly, we bought you up better than that."

"Tell you what," I begin not about to be deterred. "How about I carry you to my truck and take you to the bar? You'll have a great night. Hazel may even be there with her husband. I know for a fact she has a sitter organized tonight for the kids. Daisy will be there and it'll be great for the three of you to catch up."

"I am not going anywhere in your arms. I'd rather walk on my sprained ankle."

"Great," her mother claps. "So, you will go then. Thank you so much Logan. This one really needs to get out."

I nod my head. Damn, I cannot wait to get her in my arms and feel her heart beating next to mine. Even if it is only for a few brief seconds.