Chapter 32

Logan

I'm nervous and excited. Having Sage working alongside me is like a dream come true. It's what I always wanted all those years ago. I had hoped back then that she'd forget about her desire to go to Michigan and realize that her heart was here in Willowbrook with me. That I meant more to her than being a state city hospital doctor. I had our lives mapped out, the practice, the cabin in the woods, marriage, kids. The whole nine yards, only it didn't work out that way but maybe this time it could.

Okay, so I'm running a bit ahead of myself. I have to remember Sage is only coming to work for me until she lands a different job and money can run out quicker than running water. Still, I am happy on this particular Monday just a few days after I took her home from Lazy Duke's.

Her closeness in the car was driving me insane, I could smell her fragrance Coco Chanel – it's always been her favorite. It took all of my strength not to reach out and grab her hand and hold it in mine. Her whole stance was don't touch me as we drove in silence to drop her off at her folks house. It did make me smile, the way she sat there like the frigid ice queen. I'm sure going to change all of that if it's the last thing I do and even if it takes me most of my life.

You see, I still love her. It's been buried and it made me sad, angry and bitter until I met my wife who I loved with all my heart. Yet, all of those feelings for Sage have resurfaced like a volcano erupting and there isn't a damn thing I can do about it.

"Good morning, Logan." Eliza is ahead of me this morning as she unlocks the door to the surgery, coffees in one hand, her large red handbag hanging off the other and struggling with the lock. I run up to help her. "I've got it." She says. Glad to see the coffees, since I didn't get much sleep last night thinking about Sage being in the practice with me today. I cannot wait to see her, although I'm expecting her to fall at my feet, hell with her stubbornness, I'm not expecting her to even smile at me or talk to me except where patients are concerned. But.. I am a very patient man and I know I'm going to get her on side.

"We have Dr Sage Bennett joining us shortly." I tell Eliza as she places her bag on the reception desk, hands me a coffee then bustles to her station and starts to switch on her computer.

"I heard. And we sure are excited to have someone in to help you out, Dr Logan. It'll be nice to see you be able to take some time off every once in a while." She smiles brightly. I'm not sure I'll be taking much time off, that'd mean I can't be close to Sage. My focus is on winning that damn woman over. She is going to be the death of me.

Sadie, our nurse comes in all bright and breezy. Her hair is a new shade today – baby pink. It suits her with her dazzling blue eyes. Last week she wore electric blue, glad to see this is a more subtle shade. I also notice that her nose piercing is a tiny stud to match her hair.

"Good morning, guys. It's going to be a bright sun shine filled day." She says full of the joys of the morning. That's Sadie for you, always bright and cheery, always smiling, cracking jokes and being a wise ass mouth. We love her, it's like having a kid sister around. Sometimes I envy her having nothing much to worry about, at twenty-two she lives with her folks here in Willowbrook, goes out to the bar with her girlfriends and hasn't started dating anyone serious. Sadie is living her best life.

"Good morning." Eliza and I say together.

"Someone is a happy young woman this morning." I smile at her. She's infectious. Oh, to be so young again.

"I bet you got laid last night." Eliza remarks drily. I'm guessing having been with her husband for god knows how many years, her sex life is down to once every other week. I chuckle.

"Actually, I had a threesome. You should try it sometime, Eliza. I highly recommend it." Sadie says smugly. I almost choke on my coffee. Way too much information for a me about one of my staff and before nine a.m.

"Er, I'll leave you ladies to your dirty talk and head to my office." And with that I hastily move away from them both.

My office is light and airy, the color scheme is neutral walls with an antique square desk dominating the space. There is the patient bed to the right with a screen that wraps around it. Behind my desk the window is large allowing in much light.

As soon as I step in my office I feel like I'm at home. Sitting here in what used to be my dad's chair gives me a huge sense of pride. To follow in his footsteps and serve our fantastic community is all I've ever wanted to do. And here I am, nearly ten years later keeping the people of Willowbrook healthy as can be, being there for them during loss and grief, offering them someone to talk to about their worries and concerns. We pride ourselves on offering the best we can for them.

"Hear we've got the new doc starting this morning." Sadie says as she pops her head round my door. I nod.

"Dr Sage Bennett will be joining us at nine. We'll do a walk round introduce her to you and Eliza and then she can get stuck in. She's got ten patients today."

"And I hear you used to date her." Nothing is sacred in Willowbrook. "So you guys going to get back together? Cool." I raise my eyebrows.

"As romantic as that would be for you, Sadie, it's not going to happen. This is a professional working relationship."

"Right. Of course it is." She flounces off. I bet the whole town is going to be thinking that Sage and I are going to rekindle our flames. Of course, I want that. I want that woman back in my bed, I want to hear her moaning my name, begging me to touch her. And I better stop right there, I definitely cannot risk having a hard-on in the office just as she's about to walk through the door which, glancing at my large wall clock behind me, will be any minute now.

"Hi." I hear her voice as she stands in my doorway with Eliza beaming next to her. The sight of her literally takes my breath away. Her hair is tied up to a high ponytail, the pale blue summer dress cinches at her tiny waist and flows down to her knees. She looks exactly like she did when she was seventeen and as much as I am fighting it right now, I feel the blood rush to my dick.

Oh God. I am in so much trouble.

Huge fucking trouble.