The Date

After a few hours of talking and paperwork, in which Roberta's salary, office space and roles as junior curator. Although she'd never held such responsibility before, her knowledge of the past would make this job a breeze. Truth be told, Roberta was over the moon. All her long, arduous hours of study were paying off, and here she was, getting the chance to look after all these amazing things! At 5pm the last guests filed out, and the museum closed up. Jotaro had left at midday in order to go back to the university, and Roberta was eager to get home. It wasn't that she didn't like her job, she was simply jet-lagged and tired. Doors were locked, security systems were activated, and Roberta took one final look at the Sandstone Warrior as she left.

"See you, big guy." She grinned. Little did she know, but the sandstone warrior could hear her. He stared dead ahead with stone eyes, illuminated from below with UV lights and surrounded by bulletproof glass, as he always was. He stared out at the human world outside, disinterested as usual. Despite his usual apathy to the foolish upright apes that shambled around the museum, something about the new curator perked his interest. A silver ring glimmered in her lower lip- like that which adorned his.

It's just a piece of jewellery. It means nothing... He thought to himself, and proceeded to ponder no more on the curious new woman.

Roberta got back to her apartment, flopped onto her bed, and fell asleep almost instantly. Tomorrow was Saturday, so she didn't need to worry about waking up early for work. She'd had some furniture delivered to the flat a few weeks ago, all of which was secondhand, giving the place a quirky look. As she dozed off, she looked forward to the new day ahead of her, and her new life in New York. Maybe she could even get Mark to come to the museum? He usually found museums and galleries "boring", but she was sure that he'd love it if it made her so happy, right?

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

Roberta groaned and got out of bed. It was half past 9 in the morning, who on earth was knocking? She rolled out of bed and weaved between the boxes that contained her stuff in them. Dressed in her usual nightwear of a tatty old Bride of Chucky t-shirt and black basketball shorts, she opened the door, to be greeted by a familiar face. Kylie, her best friend and fellow Roller Derby teammate. Roberta was a jammer, whereas Kylie was a pivot. Known better by their nicknames of Hell-No Kitty and Scare Dinkum, Kylie and Roberta were as close as besties could be.

"Hiiiii Bobbi!" Kylie squealed. She was a playful blonde, who never went out unless she was wearing her fake tan and pink lipgloss. All of her clothes were of a similar shade, such as her Juicy sweatpants and her bratz t shirt that she was currently wearing, and whenever she wasn't rollerskating she'd be tottering around in killer heels. Kylia was also amazing at chess, yet she didn't get many chances to play.

"You said I should come over the day after you got here, to help you decorate!" The blonde grinned, showing off perfect white teeth. Roberta laughed, suddenly remembering her previous agreement.

"Gahh, I totally forgot!" She groaned with a smile.

"It's ok! I've brought some old clothes, since you said you've already got all the paint and stuff. On, but we gotta keep a window open, because paint smells totally icky!" Kylie smiled. "I'll make some coffee, you go and get dressed."

"Gimme a sec and I'll be back." Roberta said. She went into her room, changed into some sweatpants and an old t-shirt, and tied up her hair. Checking her phone, she saw no texts from Mark.

"You ok, girlie?" Kylie asked, as the kettle boiled and pancakes sizzled on the stovetop.

"Yeah, just checking if Mark's been in contact." She replied. Kylie set down a plate of pancakes and bacon, alongside a mug of tea, and sighed.