CHAPTER 6

Alexa's POV

The urge to slap him across his face hits me but I don't.

Instead, I try to disengage from him with rage bubbling inside of me but he holds me back, still staring into my eyes.

"Let go of me", I find myself shouting at him in anger. 

I should have known wearing this dress was a bad idea but I had no choice. I needed something unique and this seems to be the only one I could easily get my hands on for the anniversary.

I should have known it is old and a little stretch might get it torn.

Now I am left with no job and a torn dress all because of this silly man.

My dislike for him has just tripled. I wish I could smack him, scream my lungs out at him and kick him in the groins but I know none of these would help.

Stubbornly, I yank my hand free and step away, my exposed thighs on display. Still seething in anger, I stare at him for a second before turning to go out.

"Hey", he blocks my way, standing at the exit with his arms spread out wide to stop me. Quickly, he takes off his suit and stretches it towards me. "Cover yourself."

My eyes twitch and I almost snort.

Without taking the suit, I step aside and make to move again but he blocks my way.

"You want to go out this way?" he mutters with disbelief crossing his expression.

I know I am not supposed to exit the party this way but I am way too hurt to think of the consequence of my action.

My pride has been hurt but I want to leave here with the rest of my dignity intact. Accepting anything from this man will hurt me more.

"Why do you care?" I bark at him, my nose flaring up in anger.

He chuckles deeply, his Adams apple popping up and down as he sways before forcing the suit on my body.

I stay still. Not taking it off and throwing it back at his face.

"I can't let my bride go out of here naked so you have no choice but to take this", he murmurs, moving closer to me and taking hold of the suit that he wrapped around my shoulder, bringing it down to my petite waist and tying it around me.

My breath hitch when his own breath fans my entire face, forcing me back to reality.

What the hell is this man doing?

I am supposed to shout at him to let go of me. I am supposed to shout at him and stop him from calling me his bride. But surprisingly, I am not doing any of that.

Before I can summon up the courage to say anything, I hear the sound of footsteps. When I look back, two ladies walk closer and the moment they see us, they begin to whisper to each other.

I stay put and silent, waiting for them to disappear down the hall.

As soon as they are out of sight, more people begin to troop in. Suddenly, he grabs me more tightly and loud noises fill the air confusing me.

Then it dawns on me when I slightly turn around that we are the reason for the noises.

"Let's get out of here", he wraps his hands around my waist more tightly, slightly covering my face as I hear the clicking sound of a camera. 

I am too terrified to think of the silly thing he is doing to me right now as I snuggle closer to him to hide my face.

A lot of people from here will recognize me. How do I explain being with a billionaire like him? Using him to get back my job with just my boss is enough. I don't like attention and I am not ready to become the center of attention right now.

I don't know how long it took us or how much of the cologne emitted from his body I took in until we were out of the enclosed hall.

With my body still pressed to him and his suit laying tightly around my waist alongside his two hands, a rush of fresh air hits me, making me realize we are outside.

Hurriedly, I disengage from his embrace but he is quick to hold me back, pushing me into a waiting car.

A type of car I have never seen before in my entire life. The exact type of cars that we see on TV which stinking wealthy men use to go on romantic dates with their girlfriends, fiancees or wives.

In this case, this is not a date nor am I his girlfriend or wife.

This is just a coincidence. We were not even supposed to meet here in the first place. Perhaps if I hadn't decided to come here to plead with my boss to give me back my job, maybe I would never see him again.

On second thought, this might be the biggest opportunity ever if only I can swallow my pride and let fate take its course.

My pride just won't let me.

Curling like a baby, I let him help me into the car. When I sink into the leather chair, it feels like a weight of problems has been lifted off my shoulder. 

But I know better than to let all of this get into my head.

This man is not to be trusted.

"Drive", he commands with implacable authority, the change in voice making me raise a brow at him. He has a serious look on his face which is opposite to the numerous looks of amusement he usually throws my way which makes me wonder just what he finds funny about me.

"You see…"

"Did you do that on purpose?" We both speak at the same time.

He trailed off but I didn't. 

"What?!" he exclaims in confusion.

"Did you do that on purpose?" I repeat, staring at him squarely and waiting for an answer. 

I want to know if this is planned. Why does everything seem to be working against me but in his favor?

He chuckles deeply, then looks away before shaking his head. "No, I didn't."

As the car moves out of the parking lot, silence fills the air. Surprisingly, I have no more questions to ask him. I just want to go away from here. I want to go back home.

So I can sleep it off.

Cry it out.

Then think about the next action and how to tackle being kicked out of my little abode.

"So what's your reply? Is it a yes or a no?" His voice breaks into my thoughts. "Obviously, the paparazzis already have a picture of you."

My heart skipped a beat at that and I turned to see him staring at a picture on his phone.

It's a picture of me and him in a close embrace and it looks exactly like the type of embrace couples in a romantic relationship share.

"What?!" I exclaim loudly, my jaws dropping in extreme shock.

Just then, I know this is it.

This is the end.

There is no turning back.