CHAPTER 15

Alexa’s POV

Still shocked with my lips slightly apart from the news from earlier, I force my eyes closed as the car comes to a slow stop.

When the car makes an effort to move forward towards the gate, I finally summon enough courage to force the word out of me. “Stop the car.”

I am sure Xavier is watching me from the other side but I don't care. What I care about right now is me. 

About my safety. My future. 

Everything happening is beyond me. It's happening too fast. I am not getting any breathing space. Xavier is taking me from one situation to another. 

I need space. To think. To know what to do next.

Pretending to be his bride isn't as much of a big deal as having a child for him. Having a child is a big deal. Never have I imagined the possibility of having a child at this point in my life.

I understand that he needs this but a lot of things are wrong about him and his game of vengeance.

Why do I have to be the ploy for his game? Why does a child have to be one too?

For us to have a child, then it means we need to have sex and I am not ready for that. 

The car stops abruptly and I throw the door open without sparing him a glance. I step out, rushing towards the road where I can get a cab back home.

Suddenly, it hits me.

I don't have a home if I don't go there with some money to pay my landlady. Quickly, I turn back to go back to the car so I can ask him for my pay when I bump into him.

He is standing right behind me with his two hands in his pants pockets. How he got right behind me without alerting me amazes me.

Stretching my hand towards him, I ask. “I need my pay. I should go pay my rent before that old hag throws my things out.”

He doesn't say anything. He is just watching me in silence. 

Feeling embarrassed for asking him for money, I drop my hand.

“Why are you upset?” he demands suddenly, making me dart my eyes back to him. He doesn't look mad knowing full well that I am upset. He doesn't look happy either and it makes something stir in me.

He needs this. But this is to the detriment of my future and safety if I am to help him.

That woman is evil and he has no one. But I can't just jump at this without thinking about it properly.

“Just give me my pay. I need some space…”

“To think about what I asked you?” he interrupts sharply and I nod, avoiding his gaze. I am scared he will see how flustered I am.

I can't imagine sex with him. Not because we both want it but because we need a baby for him to get his inheritance.

So much for coming from a wealthy home.

“There is nothing to think about, Alex…”

“Xavier!” I find myself shouting, cutting him short. I shut my eyes, trying so hard to calm my nerves before fluttering them open again to stare hard at him. The fact that he calls me Alex naturally annoys the shit out of me.

I am Alexa, not Alex.

He never called me Alexa.

“You want me to just jump at that like some desperate chick who has no life to live for herself? What exactly do you take me for? A fool who will do anything just for money?!”

HIS PRETENSE BRIDEOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara