CHAPTER 7

Xander's POV 

There is no compassion in my voice and I don't care. Everything is working in my favor but she is just too stubborn to accept my offer.

I will do all it takes for her to give in.

When I have her, I can have other things too.

At the thought, a smirk crawls to my face while her nose flares in anger as she continues to stare at the picture of us together.

We look good together.

She is too engrossed in her thoughts to realize where I have brought her. I brought her to my place.

When we approach, I notice a huge crowd right outside the gate, making me lean forward in curiosity.

The car comes to a halt immediately. 

"Boss", the driver mutters, turning back to face me as realization dawns on me.

It's the press.

How did they manage to get here before us? 

Shit!

I turn to face Alex squarely. She is watching me too with her eyes widened in fear. What she is scared of is what I have no idea about.

This is an opportunity for her. To get a new life. The best life. And even more money. 

There are a lot of women out there who would jump at this offer but here she is refusing and showing nothing but fear.

An idea jumps into my head and I look away from her.

"Drive", I order Stanley who seems lost for a moment until I order again. "Drive!"

With my arms over her shoulder, I watch him drive closer to the gate where the press are patiently waiting for us. A few meters away from them, they sight our car and begin to push forward.

Then I lean towards Alex, almost pinning her to the seat as my mouth moves closer to hers, my eyes on hers.

Her eyes are still widened. Not in fear now but in extreme shock.

She tries to push me off her but I am still. "Play along, woman!" I find myself saying to her in a low tone.

In a second, we are swamped with flashing cameras and people, asking numerous questions and trying so hard to get pictures of us.

I manage to cover her well with my body leaning towards hers and also to create the impression that we are kissing.

The automatic gate opens up and the car drives in fast, the gate closing before any of them can get in.

When the car parks in the garage, I lean backwards and sit back beside her with a sigh of relief.

Stanley steps down from the car and opens the door for me to come down. I step down from the car and turn to the other side to open the door for Alex.

But she sits still. Not moving or saying a word.

"Come down…", I say calmly as she glares at me coldly.

"Why did you bring me here?" she demands from me, staring at me in anger.

I shrug nonchalantly. "Where else did you expect me to take you?"

Silence falls. I am still holding the car door, waiting for her to come down but she doesn't seem like she will do that.

"Can you please come down? Let's talk inside", I mutter softly, hoping this will work on her.

"No!" she responds sharply without sparing me a glance. "I want to go home."

"Home? Do you think they don't know where you live? Just a word from me to your boss and your identity will be revealed", I threaten. I didn't mean to say that but I can't help it. She is beginning to frustrate me.

She looks threatened and I smile inwardly.

I move closer to her. "Why don't you want this? I can pay your rent, get you a new job or even make you an established business woman. Just name it. Anything you want. Is it money? Do you want millions?"

"Are you kidding me?" she shouts at me, finally stepping down from the car. "Do I look like I need your money? What do you take me for?"

I shrug again. 

Everyone wants money. She can't tell me she doesn't need money when she is desperately begging back for her job.

She is breathing heavily, as though she is about to cry. I lean on the car door waiting for her to say more.

All these are totally unnecessary. All I need from her is a yes or a no. If my mom hadn't mistaken her for Alex, I wouldn't be in this position. I can have any woman I have but she seems to be an exception.

"You are proud", I murmur.

"What?!" she exclaims loudly, blinking in disbelief.

I nod. "I'm done pestering you. If you know you don't need me or my money or even my help, then you can go. You are free to leave."

With that said, I signal to Stanley to follow me. He closes the car door and follows me behind while I walk to the front door hoping she would have a change of mind and run after me.

I need her more than she needs me but I can't beg her. She has a lot to gain from this.

I know she can't leave now unless she doesn't care for her reputation and she doesn't care about her job anymore.

Going out of here with my coat around her waist covering her torn dress and all the dramas will reveal her identity and make her the subject of discussion for the rest of the year.

The press are still outside and they won't budge until I order my guards to get rid of them. But I won't do that now unless I am sure Alex is fully in or not.

I have given her the chance to choose. If she leaves, I will never bother her again and she will be tagged as a side chick or a billionaire's one-night stand forever.

But if she stays, then a positive reputation is assured. She will get whatever she wants. She will be respected and she will get her job back.

When I am fully in and the door isn't opening to reveal a desperate woman running in to beg me, I sigh deeply and run my hand through my hair in frustration.

I have never met a stubborn woman like her in my entire life.

In exhaustion, I slouch onto the sofa, grabbing my phone to find a solution to the problem I have created for myself.

Now I have to sort out the problem of the so-called Alex who is my bride and also sort out the problem of presenting Alexa to my mother as Alex.

I need to think of how to tell her Alexa isn't Alex and I need to find someone else to represent Alex.

As I scroll through my contacts, the door opens and someone comes in. I shoot to my feet instantly as I move towards the door to see her walking in calmly with her head bent.

"Alex?" I call in surprise. Honestly, I thought she must have gone out. I was already giving up on having her as my supposed bride. But seeing her now makes relief wash through me.

This will save me from a lot of stress and explanations.

She looks up and says. "I am Alexa, not Alex."

I nod with a smile.

"And I accept your offer. I accept to be your pretend bride", she adds, her eyes cold and unfriendly.

I almost laugh out loud at the reply.

"But on one condition", she utters, jerking me out of my excited zone.

I peer at her in curiosity, wondering what the condition is. Is it more money? Another reputable job? She just needs to name it and it's hers.

With confidence that I can give her whatever it is she wants, I fold my arms around my bosom and ask. "What is it?!" 

"Your mother. Don't hurt her. Don't use me to take your revenge on her. If you can do this, then I am all yours."

The smile on my face vanishes into thin air as I exclaim loudly in disbelief. "What?!"