CHAPTER 8

Alexa's POV 

I open my mouth. But no words come out until Xander nudges me gently, staring at me with a concerned expression.

I nod and clear my throat, adjusting in my seat as though that would bring back the confidence I forced myself to put on when we first got here.

"Yes, sure."

The old woman grins, looking all excited and happy, making me wonder why he wants to punish the innocent woman.

She is sweet. Hospitable and gentle.

She doesn't seem to be like the one who would do anything to jeopardize his life or future. She seems like the type who would do anything to ensure he is happy.

But I know a book can not be judged by its cover.

Xander must have his reasons too.

The sound of cutlery usage jerks me back to life as they begin to eat.

Trying so hard not to look out of place, I plaster a smile on my face and begin to dig into my food.

Silence falls as we eat but my insides are in disarray, my head spinning with lots of unanswered questions.

I still can't believe I agreed to do this.

I was left with no choice but it angers me that I am showing my vulnerable side to him.

I am deeply impressed by the silence between us. This is good table manners. The maids in uniform too are professionals, coming right after we are done eating and clearing the plates noiselessly.

I sip on the red wine trying so hard to play my role well. The role of the daughter of a business mogul. 

The wine tastes lovely and I don't know when I gulp it all down until I drop the glass cup. Xander spares me a glance which makes me bite my lower lip in embarrassment.

Thankfully, his mother does not notice.

The interior of the mansion is exquisite with a mixture of ancient and modern day decorations. The dining area is spacious enough to contain more than fifty guests.

I haven't been to a home like this and this is no doubt the home of a billionaire. My guess is right. Not only does he and his Mother have connections but they are damn wealthy.

Where is his father then? 

The question suddenly pops up in my head and I snap my head towards him to see him watching intensely.

I am thinking he wants to signal to me to do something but I can't catch what he wants so I assume this was all part of the playing-along thing.

Suddenly, his hand entangles with my fingers on the dinning table making me go stiff for a moment in shock. 

I let out a deep sigh then I let myself relax, not minding his cold touch.

"I'm sure you enjoyed your meal, Alex", she utters with a smile.

I nod vigorously and smile back. "Yes, I did. Thank you for dinner."

She shifts her gaze to Xander and they begin to converse about the company which makes me feel left out and a little bit scared.

What if she questions me about my dad's company as well? What if she asks a question relating to business and I can't answer?

"Alex, when do you go back to Italy?" Her question brings me out of my reverie.

Xander and I didn't talk about me going back to the States but I guess I should just play along. There is still a lot we need to talk about, a lot we need to know about each other and a lot to tell each other to keep this real until our agreement is over.