CHAPTER 9

Xander's POV 

In a couple of days, we've gone from being single to married and now honeymooners. 

I never envisioned my mother would take this too seriously till the extent of planning a honeymoon without my knowledge.

Now I am left to do her will. Do her bidding to the very end so I can get my wish.

However, I can't help but suspect that she is suspicious of my actions. 

"Can we get separate rooms?" The sound of Alexa's voice reaches my ears, making me whirl around sharply to shut her up. The receptionist mustn't hear that. 

We are on a honeymoon for goodness sake.

I am not too pleased with all of this the same way she isn't. She shouldn't make it harder for me. Having to deal with Mother and all her silly instructions on what to do to get my inheritance is annoying enough.

"We are on a honeymoon, darling. We shouldn't have separate rooms here. We have to get used to sleeping on the same bed now", I say to her, wrapping my two hands around her waist and pulling her to me.

She doesn't look surprised at my reaction so I wink at her, hoping she gets the message. There are two men behind us wheeling in our luggage.

After placing a quick peck on her forehead without a word from her, I let go and flash a smile towards the receptionist who attended to me immediately.

After telling her my name, I realized a room had been booked for us already. 

A suitable suite for our honeymoon.

After getting the key to the room and the description of the suite, I entwined my fingers with Alexa's before strolling towards the elevator which takes us to the second floor where the suite is.

Conscious of the silent woman beside me, I spare her a glance. Her face is devoid of emotions and her head is high up, making her look like the bride I imagined.

I smile inwardly as we enter the elevator with the luggage. We plan to spend a week here before going back to New York.

Coming to Cuba for my honeymoon has never been a plan. But Mother made it possible.

As soon as we got into the suite, Alexa let out a puff of relief. The two men bring the luggage inside before moving out, leaving us alone. When I turn to look at her, she is staring at me.

"What?!" I demand, flopping heavily to a sofa nonchalantly. I really can not remember the last time I went on a trip and this will be a way to relax after working nonstop for months.

"Married or not, we can't share a bed", she utters firmly, her look unwavering as she suddenly stands with arms akimbo.

I shrug. "Fine by me. You take the couch while I take the bed."

"What?!" she suddenly exclaims, her eyes wide open in disbelief.

"What?"

"You want me to sleep on the couch?" she asks as if it be sure she heard me right.

I nod. "You are the one who is uncomfortable sharing a bed with me. I can't sleep on a couch but I am sure you can." 

She snorts, staring daggers at me. I really do not know why she is always mad at me when we are in this together.

I don't want to be married which is why I had to do this.

Get a pretend bride.

Why is she making it look like I am doing this because I want it?

"Honestly", I stand up abruptly, taking off my suit. I need a shower. "I don't mind sharing a bed with you or anyone else."

She snickers. "Flirt."

"What?" I almost laugh out loud. I haven't even done anything close to flirting with her and here she is calling me a flirt.

Really?

"Because we are supposedly married and on a honeymoon doesn't mean we should have sex. I won't have sex with you!" she states firmly, demonstrating with her finger before walking to the couch to sit.

I shake my head, obviously amused by her way of thinking. Quickly, I take off the rest of my clothes before moving to the closet to grab a towel.

I walk to the bathroom with frosted glass and open it to enter.

In just a week, I will have my inheritance. 

Then in three months, I will have my revenge on Mother and Alex can go her way after she has been settled.

I really can not wait for that day to come. The thought of how everything will play out leaves a small smile on my face as I move around the bathroom.

A towel is wrapped around my waist and I am about to pull it open to take a shower when my eyes click on something.

A small gadget is attached to the upper edge of the glass door.

Quickly, I move close, tying my towel back in position and grabbing the gadget.

A camera.

My heart stilled for a second. First, it was getting to know about an unplanned honeymoon from Mother last night and getting to know that our rooms had been booked for days and now this. 

Instantly, I know she is behind this.

She booked this particular room so she could have her eyes on us.

Shit!

I rush out with the camera. 

She knows. Or rather, she is suspicious. She wants to know if this is real or not.

When I step back into the room, Alex is still on the couch staring into space. I glance around the room to find something similar to this.

If a camera is in the bathroom, definitely there will be one in here. She would like to know how we interact and even if we are having sex like real couples would do.

Glad that Alex and I haven't said anything about our contract yet, I walk up to her and hoist her up from the couch.

She is startled but my hold on her is strong. Without a word, I move slowly to the bed and we both fall on it.

She gasps.

Before she can protest against whatever I want to do to her, I take her lips, kissing her gently and wishing she would know what is happening without having me say a word.

But she is clueless. I need to let her know without showing it. 

I haven't found the camera in the room yet and until I do, I need to make this believable. If she is not fully convinced that this is real, I won't get my inheritance in a week. She will find more ways to push it back.

The earlier the better for me. Same for Alex. She needs to be settled in three months.

With her two hands on my chest, she succeeds in pushing me off but I straddle her, having her on top of me. Before she can protest or get out of my hold, I make her lean towards me forcefully as though we are about to kiss again.

Then I whisper into her left ear. "Play along. There is a camera in here."

She goes still for a second and I almost thought she didn't understand what I meant.

Then she lifts her head, making our eyes interlock for a brief second before she finally leans down, claiming my lips.