CHAPTER 16

Xavier's POV

Two pairs of glassy green eyes flutter open to meet my intense gaze. My rage dies a quick death when she shifts her eyes to the palm I placed over her forehead.

I take my hand away, relief washing through me.

“How…how are you?” I demand against my will. Even though her desire for our paths to never cross again deeply infuriated me, the knowledge that someone was following her intensified my anger.

I don't need any evidence to know who it was.

She tries to sit up, but a wince leaves her mouth, making her lay back in bed with her eyes closed.

For a second, fear jumps into my heart when she isn't opening her eyes. Before I can call her name, she flutters her eyes open again.

“Where am I?” She demands, glancing around the room where she was rushed into five hours ago. The same room where the doctor attended to her.

“In my villa,” I reply, flashing her a reassuring smile. She must have been so scared.

I followed my instinct. I couldn't let her go away just like that when she knew too much about me already. When I saw the car, I asked the driver to follow her.

Stanley has the plate number already. I'm going to find the owner, or the person who drove that damn car, and deal with him.

“Why?” 

I think she is asking me why she is here, so I reply. “You were almost run over…”

“I know. I remember everything. Why am I here?” She inquires, staring at me for an answer.

Not knowing what to say, I shrug without saying a word. She glares at me coldly before making another effort to sit up.

A wicked smile leaves the corner of my mouth when she is unable to do so. Finally, she gives up and lies back in bed without any more movement.

Silence falls.

A pindrop could be heard. She looks like someone who has fallen asleep again, even though her eyes are wide open.

She is just staring at the ceiling. She fixed her gaze on the ceiling, no longer moving or glancing around.

It makes me wonder if she is thinking about my offer and will give it a try. I need her. It is already too late to find someone else when she knows what is going on already.

Besides, she's already caught up in my mess. Letting her go would mean leaving her in danger. 

I have no more words to threaten her to do my bidding. I am as exhausted as she is. Knowing about the conditions for receiving my funds left me feeling broken.

I was betrayed again by Eva. My anger towards her makes me want to grab her neck and strangle the living hell out of her.

This is my right. But she wants to restrict me from getting it so everything can become hers. 

I won't allow it.

I really need to find another way to convince Alex.

We need to do this.

“Your mom was behind it.” Alex's voice breaks into my thoughts, making me lean forward with a nod. “You know?”

Her eyes bulge open in surprise. 

“Yes.”

Suddenly, confusion replaces the surprise on her face, and she asks again in curiosity. “How did I get here? How did you know I was…”

“I followed you,” I respond quickly. I knew she was going to ask that. There was no point in lying to her. 

“What? Why?!”

"If I hadn't, do you think anyone would be willing to save you?" What do you think would have happened if I didn't make an appearance to stop the damn car…”

“Such arrogance!” She snarls, cutting me short.

I almost laugh.

Did she just call me arrogant?

“Did you just refer to me as arrogant?” I asked with a hint of amusement, pressing my hand onto the bedding and pushing myself closer to her.

She does not reply. She only glares.

I let out a chuckle.

“If I wasn't there, Alex, something bad would have happened to you. You should be thanking me, not calling me arrogant, you know?”

She presses her lips together, looking so small and innocent. “I am Alexa. And there is nothing you can tell me to justify…”

“Alex…”

“Alexa…” She interrupts me again.

“What difference does it make?!” I snap, shooting to my feet instantly. “Whether Alex or Alexa, as my pretend bride, you should answer me as Alex, understood?”

Her pupils shimmer with anger. Without a word, she manages to sit up slowly, stepping down to pick up her shoes before rising.

I watch as she moves to the door before the realization dawns on me.

What the hell is wrong with me? 

I race after her.

“Alex, Alexa, I am sorry. I didn't mean to snap at you. I just want you to understand my point. My supposed bride is Alexander.”

“Xavier, my name is Alexa. I won't repeat myself, so please let me go. I am done here. Thank you for saving my life yet again,” she mutters with a bit of sarcasm, yanking her hand away from my hold.

I block her way. “I'm sorry. I didn’t mean it.”

Unshed tears crowd her eyes, making me feel guilty.

“I'm serious, Alexa. I'm truly sorry. I didn't…”

“It's fine,” She raises a finger to shut me off, pushing at my ego, but I quickly wave it away. “Can I go now?”

An unexpected twinge of sadness tugs at my heart at the thought of her leaving. I thought we were in this together. I thought she was going to be grateful to me for rescuing her and finally giving in to my demand without any hassle.

Shit!

“Xavier!”

“Alexa, please… hear me out.”

“There is nothing there to talk about. I already told you I can't. Do you know what it takes to give birth to a child? When I am not even in a relationship or in love with the man I am about to birth a child for? When this isn't even real? Think about it, Xavier. Would you do the same if you were in my shoes?”

“Yes, I can.”

“Really?” She folds her arms around her bosom and bites on her lower lip, reminding me of how sweet they tasted back in Cuba. 

This woman in front of me is stubbornly mad at me. Arguing with her will do no good. What I need to do to get what I want is to sweet-talk her. Tell her how she would benefit from this too.

“Alexa.” I force the name out, conscious of not repeating the mistake of calling her Alex. With my hand on my shoulder, I look down. “I know this is hard for you. It is for me too. I never thought I would have to do this to get what belongs to me. I'm truly sorry, but there is nothing we can do about it. Eva is out there, trying to get rid of you for knowing too much. I know this isn't part of our agreement, but can you please do this for me? I promise you won't regret it. Just do this for me, and I will give you whatever you want. Please.”

She does not say a word.

“Please. Should I go down on my knees?” I regret saying that the moment the word came out.

Go down on my knees for a woman? What the hell! 

Since Patricia left, I vowed never to do that.

She shakes her head intermittently, her expression still serious. “I understand you, Xavier, but this isn't just about you. It's also about me. What kind of life do you expect me to live after giving you a child and leaving? Besides that, it is against my religion to give birth to a child out of wedlock. It's really a hard decision for me too. I'm sorry I can't…”

“Then let's get married,” I blurt out desperately, my heart slamming against my ribcage at the words rolling out of me. “For real this time.”

“What? Marriage?!” 

Shock ripples through her.