CHAPTER 12

Xander's POV 

Hearing the humming of a familiar tune from the bathroom, I sit on the edge of the bed trying to figure out where I know the tune from.

Instead of recalling where, an image pops into my head.

A forbidden image of Alex wearing nothing underneath as the shower keeps running alongside the tune.

Realizing how silly of a thought it is, I shake my head, slapping myself mentally to shove away the thought. To keep my mind busy, I drum my finger on the bed as I think over what Mom and I discussed over dinner.

I am wondering why she wants to have a lone time with Alex. 

What questions does she have? Is this a way to question her without my presence? Why exactly is she doing this?

Suddenly, the tune stops, and my thoughts drift back to the woman in the frosted bathroom taking a shower.

From the running sound of the shower, I am sure she is still bathing. Perhaps she is washing her hair from the strange scent of shampoo drifting through the closed door.

Another image leaps into my head. 

A perfect flawless skin just like the image of Alex Smith which I have conjured up in my head springs to life making a shiver run down my spine.

This is because I want a perfect wife. I have always wanted one. A perfect girlfriend whom I can eventually propose to to be my wife but I haven't found one.

Alexa isn't that girl.

Alex Smith, my imaginary bride is the perfect one whom I haven't found yet. 

The shower stops and the door opens to reveal Alexa in a towel wrapped around her bosom and the exact flawless skin I was just imagining.

My eyes trail her long legs as she stops walking. Gulping loudly, I look up and our eyes meet for a second before I turn away immediately.

Hurriedly, she moves to the closet to get dressed. While trying to look for something to keep me busy from watching her back or thinking about what lies underneath that pink towel, my phone rings.

Thankful for the interruption, I pick it up to see Costello's name flashing across the screen.

Costello is the family lawyer. Even though I don't know if I should trust him, I called him earlier hoping to get some information from him. He was busy so he promised to call me back later.

I was just waiting for Alexa to shower so we could go down together for breakfast but now I don't think that would be possible because there is a lot I want to discuss with him.

"Mr. Gold", he greets politely with the usual calm tone and composure. 

"Good Day, Costello", I reply with the same calm voice.

Someone gasps beside me, reminding me of Alexa. I turn slightly to see her opening her eyes wide and staring at something in the closet.

"I missed your call earlier, I'm so sorry", Costello mutters from the other end as I rise to go see what she is staring at.

"What is it?" I question Alexa who jerks upright, looking startled by my sudden presence.

"Excuse me?" Costello says from the other side.

"Sorry, Costello. Can I call you back in a minute?" Without waiting for a reply, as Alexa points to something, I disconnect that call quickly and stare closely at it.

It is beeping.

Just like how I saw it in the bathroom.

"It's a camera", she gasps again, as though she is just seeing it. 

I shove her away slightly before stretching my hand at it. My hand grabs it and I turn it off before striding back to the bed determined to find the rest of the hidden cameras.

I dump the camera in my hand into a waste bin before grabbing the intercom to call the receptionist.

I am done putting up with this shit.

The phone rings at the other end before someone picks up. "Hello, how may I help you?"

"I want a change of room. I just noticed there are hidden cameras in here."

Silence falls for a second before she answers. "I'm sorry for the inconvenience but all the rooms are occupied."

"Then get me a refund! I am moving out right now. Refund me or be ready to be sued!" With that said, I drop the intercom angrily before staring around to find the rest of the camera.

I know there is more.

Just then, my phone rings again.

I turn to the bed to grab my phone when I see the name. It is Costello again so I pick without hesitation.

"I would be away for a couple of days, Mr. Gold. Is everything ok?"

"Sure, when would you be back?"

"Not sure but I should be done in a week or two", He says. "What's the matter?"

"I want to know about the inheritance and the terms of getting the funds…"

"Your mother didn't tell you?"

"That I should be married and I am already. Why do I have to wait for a certain time before finally getting it then?"

"Marriage?" Costello demands sounding extremely surprised.

"Yes. I am married."

"Really?"

"Is there something else?"

"Marriage isn't among the terms. The major term is for you to have an heir, not necessarily getting married", he explains to me. "Don't tell me you got married because of that."

What? I want to scream in my head.

If I hadn't faked a marriage, would I have gotten married all in vain? What the hell is this woman trying to do?

Did she think it would be impossible for me to find a woman to settle within such a short time? Is this why she came up with this silly idea of a marriage instead of telling me the truth about getting an heir instead?

"No, Costello. We are in love", I reply to him with confidence, trying not to stare at Alexa who is now fully dressed and standing in front of me.

He falls silent.

"Anything else I should know, Costello?"

"No!" His reply comes rather too sharply, raising my suspicion.

"Costello? What else is it?" 

Deep down, I am hoping it is not too bad and too impossible for me to do. I need this fund. Only then I can deal with her.

"Did she also tell you about the duration required before you can claim your funds?" he questions after so much hesitation.

"Three months?"

That was what she told me but now that I think of it, I have a feeling it isn't three months and it scares me.

How do I tell Alexa after agreeing to part ways after three months?

Is she doing this because she knows Alex and I are not truly married? 

Now that I think of it, I realize this must have been the case. She knows. This is the reason why she is acting this way; showing up unannounced, booking a honeymoon ticket for us without our knowledge, installing a camera in our rooms, among others.

She knows.

Now I am sure she does.

"No. Three years. Not three months!" He blurts out loudly.

"What?!" I exclaim loudly, making Alexa who is now at the door about to go out to turn back abruptly and stare at me with a full-blown curiosity. "What the hell!"