CHAPTER 14

Xander’s POV

The wriggling of her toes jerks me out of my reverie, making me stare at her delicate small feet.

We've been in complete silence since we left Cuba. I was too mad to start a conversation with her or even ask if she was okay.

I've been deep in thought, thinking of how best to get to this woman without having to use Alexa.

Obviously, I can't do this without her and the agreement was not using her to get my revenge on that evil woman.

I should have known that the trust fund had no condition whatsoever. Why she lied to me about having to be married is what baffled me even though I know it is all a ploy to get it all to herself.

After what Daniella did, I vowed never to have a thing with any woman. I despise the thought of commitment or venturing into another relationship. Deep down, I know having lost Daniella means not having another woman ever again.

Daniella was so good. Yet she left. She betrayed me. 

I can't wait to get to Costello’s office. I need to know what is going on and what I actually need to do to get the trust fund. It will surely go a long way in sorting out my new business deals.

Alex clears her throat making me look away from her toes, feeling guilty for being caught staring. Then I look up to see her watching me intensely as if trying to figure out what is going through my mind.

“You okay?” She demands, peering down at me with curiosity.

I nod.

She doesn't seem convinced that I am so she moves closer, her shoulder touching.

“Are you sure you are fine?” She asks again, making something stir inside of me.

I can't remember the last time someone asked me that. Whether fine or not, I have had to deal with whatever is wrong alone.

Instead of answering, I ask. “Have you ever been in a relationship before?”

She seems taken aback by my question as she moves backwards a little before looking away without an answer.

“I take that as a yes”, I mutter indifferently. “But are you in one currently?”

She snaps her head towards me once more, this time, looking upset. “Why all the questions?”

I shrug nonchalantly, expecting an answer. Silence ensues until she asks. “Now I see the reason why you said you wanted revenge. That woman was so scary. I almost peed in my panties.”

Soft laughter leaves her mouth as her eyes gleam brightly.

“You should have.”

“What?” she asks in confusion.

“You should have peed in your pants…”, I am cut short by the slap on my shoulder followed by more laughter which makes me smile too.

Eva is the devil. She deserves whatever bad comes her way and I won't rest until I get my revenge on her.

I will do all it takes to get the trust fund. She won't get a dime.

The car stops almost immediately, making me stare out to see we are at the lawyer’s office already. Nodding towards Alex’s direction, I get out hurriedly and she does the same, glancing around.

She must be wondering why we are here. I didn't tell her anything but I hope to after I am done here.

I signal to her to stay in the car but she shakes her head, making me roll my eyes. I take long strides towards the entrance and she follows.

Costello is on the first floor and his office is the third office by the left. With just ten steps away from the entrance, I am standing right in front of his door with Alex behind me.

I don't have a problem with her hearing our conversation because I believe everything will work to my benefit. Perhaps, she might change her mind when she gets to know who Eva really is.

With just one knock, the door is thrown open by his clerk who greets us politely. I nod at her as I enter, walking hurriedly towards a waiting room.

Costello appears almost immediately. We shake hands and he offers us a seat.

“I was expecting you thirty minutes ago, Mr. Gold”, he murmurs with delight, making me shake my head with a smile. He is a lawyer after all so he should be time-conscious.

“Sorry”, I only say, wanting to get to business. He nods, sparing Alex a quick glance before bringing out a file which he opens.

He moves the file towards me.

Pointing to a clause, he mentions. “This is the only condition attached to getting your trust fund. It says you need to have a child before you clock 30 which was three years before this was given to me.”

My jaws drop.

Eva told me I needed to be married to get this. She told me I would get it three months after the wedding.

She knew I wouldn't last that long. Now, I am pretty sure she knows almost everything about the plan between Alex and me.

Perhaps, she knows this is fake.

I turn to Alex whose mouth is agape too. She faces me squarely looking lost.

“You are 29 years already and you need to have a child before you clock 30 for you to gain access to this. Getting married wasn't the condition.” Costello adds, making me nod as anger surges through me. 

I rise.

Alex does the same. 

I point to the file. “Can I possibly get a copy of this?”

He smiles and shakes his head. “I'm sorry.”

I nod before stretching my hand for a shake. “Thank you, Costello.”

I whirl around and take the exit out, trying so hard to keep my anger in check. I am refraining myself from rushing to the car to ask the driver to take me to Eva. 

I don't even know if she is back from Cuba yet.

I want to give her a piece of my mind but I know better than to do that. I don't need to show her how much I hate her. I just want to stick to the initial plan and get rid of her silently, without disclosing any of my plans.

I stop walking abruptly and Alex bumps into me from behind.

“Xander, what was that about? Is this a prank or something?”

A prank? Does she think this is a prank?

I twirl around to face her. There is confusion and worry etched on her forehead, making me more desperate to get this done with.

Having a child shouldn't be a problem. I have a woman already whom I claim to be my wife. What next is having a child and the woman before me is perfect for the role.

Without thinking, I blurt out. “Will you have my baby?”

She blinks. 

Then her mouth drops open just like earlier as she pronounces loudly. “What?!”