CHAPTER 17

Alexa's POV

Nervousness ripples through him, despite his calm composure not to show it. I am gradually getting to know this man better than he truly looks.

His muscles flex beneath his shirt, and I trail my eyes over them before our eyes meet.

Quickly, I glance away.

The short door opens, and my aunt comes in and sits down opposite us. When Xavier suggested we come here to inform her about the marriage, I was against it, but he insisted.

My aunt, who is my only guardian, needed to know. He wanted to make things official, even though it was a loveless marriage.

“I see you are here with someone,” she says, peering at him with her glasses sitting on the bridge of her nose. “He doesn't look bad.”

She examines him beyond his appearance. She is as calculative as anything else, and I hope she doesn't exhibit any of her bad traits today.

I would be so embarrassed, and Xavier might be disappointed too.

Realizing that I had a lot to gain from this, I gave in. I had nowhere to run to without worrying about who was behind me or who was watching.

The fact that I now despise that woman is enough for me to agree to marry him. Not only will he protect me, he will grant me financial freedom and a stable job.

I will also have a baby.

Whether loveless or not, I will have a say in my baby's life. We didn't talk about divorce, but if it comes to that after he has achieved his goals, then I am in.

“Yes,” I mutter softly. The nervousness has been transferred to me. “Aunt, this is Xavier Gold, and we are getting married.”

There is no point in wasting time. This is what we came for. The earlier we leave, the better.

I can't even remember the last time I visited. I only send her money every time she calls to ask. This is to prevent her from ripping me off for every penny.

A low gasp leaves her mouth, and her eyes widen. “Really?”

Quickly, she grabs her phone and begins to type carefully on it. Something tells me she is typing out his name to see who he is.

The moment her eyes bulge wide open, I know my assumptions are right, and I bite my lower lips and grit my teeth.

“Wow, so you are a billionaire, CEO of…”

“Yes, ma'am. We are here so that you can attend the wedding as her guardian. It's next Saturday, we would be glad…”

"Of course, but there are conditions attached to marrying our daughter," she says, interrupting Xavier too, who has been quiet all along and is waiting for the right time to say something.

He spares me a glance, and embarrassment flushes through me.

This is it.

Xavier and I already had an agreement. This woman wants to ruin it by asking for more.

“You see, Alexa is a very beautiful girl, well-educated, and employed. You need to get her a car and a house, as well as those for me."

Xavier smiles.

I shoot to my feet instantly. “Aunt, can I see you in private?”

I rush to her before she can oppose me, and I move towards the bedroom, avoiding Xavier's glance.

When we are inside and out of his earshot, I put my hand on my waist with a glare on my face. “Aunt, what was the meaning of that?!”

“What?” She feigns ignorance, as though she has no idea what I am talking about.

"That," I say, pointing toward the door. “What just happened out there? I am getting married, not getting sold.”

“I wasn't even done with my conditions; why are you mad?”

“What?!”

I told Xavier, but he wouldn't listen. If she doesn't come, it won't make any difference. I am as good as having no one to call family.

“If you don't stop, I will go back in there and ask him to let us go. I don't care if you come or not,” I threaten with a tone of authority. I have never raised my voice on her, but what I have been through these past few days is enough to deal with.

My threat seems to work because she mellows down and apologizes immediately. “Sorry.”

She must have realized what she would lose if I did that. Xavier is a billionaire, and she has that figured out already. But I won't let her use him as a tool for exploitation.

I stalk out of the room and return to the living room, where there are just three sofas and a TV set with a table.

“Is everything okay?" Xavier asks questions with concern-filled brows.

“Yes.” I sit close to him, and his hand wraps around mine.

“It's fine, really. Allow her to make her demands; after all, this marriage is what I need. I will pay whatever it takes for it to happen.”

My eyes brim with tears.

In situations like this, I remember my parents. If they were alive, their only objective would be to ensure my marriage was to someone I love and who reciprocates my love.

Not this.

Not like Aunt, who is solely motivated by her desire to marry me off to a billionaire.

She is less bothered about me marrying for love or if he is a good man, and I want this too.

It makes my heart irk, and a sour feeling spreads through my stomach.

She comes back in, this time with a small smile on her face, to pretend as if everything is fine.

“When is the wedding again?” She demands with all smiles. “Saturday, right?”

"I will send you the IV as well as the venue details. And please make sure you come alone. It's a small wedding," I inform her in order to avoid stories later on.

“Small wedding? Why?”

Xavier's phone beeps, and he stares at it. Taking that as a cue, I decide it is time we leave.

“That will be all, aunt. We need to go now. Xavier is a very busy man.” I rise up, realizing Xavier's hand is still entangled with mine. He also stands up and flashes her a smile before dropping a bundle of money on the floor.

In order not to watch her shriek with excitement after seeing her eyes bulging open, I practically drag him out till we are close to the car.

“Hey.”

“Let's go,” I say, releasing his hand as the driver opens the car door. I climb in, waiting for him to do the same.

With another one of his signature smiles, he turns to the other side, slouches in, and the car takes off.