Chapter One: Memories - Mackenzie's POV

Bluey ran up to Mackenzie and wrapped her arms around his waist in a hug. His stomach gave him a weird fluttery feeling and his breath caught in his throat. He continued to ignore the feeling and just simply enjoy this lovely moment. He smiled to himself as his friend hugged him tightly for a few seconds.

"See ya, Mackenzie!", Bluey informed a smiling Mackenzie before she ran off to finish building her fairy garden.

"Bye!", Mackenzie waved to Bluey as she waved back and repeated Mackenzie's parting words, reminiscing in the past moment.

Mackenzie slowly fluttered his eyes open and turned his head to glance at his sleep-interrupting device. (That's what he insisted on calling his alarm clock.)

"Five O'clock?", he sleepily asked himself. He groaned and reached over to his phone, which was resting on the nightstand, picking it up. "I still have an hour until I usually wake up!", he complained. Mackenzie put his phone back on the nightstand and closed his eyes, attempting to fall back asleep.

Fifteen minutes later, he still wasn't even the least bit tired. Mackenzie sighed and rolled over onto his back to face the ceiling. He stared up at it as he recalled his dream. Well, it was actually more of a flashback., he thought to himself. But he remembered it so well. The butterflies who were having the time of their lives, his breath catching in his throat, the slight blush he had felt on his cheeks, the happiness he had felt... and yet he had ignored all of it. Mackenzie sat up in his bed.

"I was so clueless!", Mackenzie frustratedly whispered to himself, so as to not wake anyone else. He put his paw to his forehead and took it back off, flinging himself back onto his back, now laying down in his bed. "At least I know now what that feeling was.", he reasoned.

It was a crush, and it had grown into love as the years passed, but he hadn't realized it yet.

"Bluey.", he whispered dreamily. "The beautiful Blue Heeler that has stolen my heart.", he continued. Mackenzie picked up his phone once again and opened the messaging app. He tapped on Bluey's contact, which had a heart next to the name and a picture of himself and her together at the beach; him smiling while blushing, and Bluey, simply smiling. He smiled at the memory of that moment and typed up a message. He was debating on whether or not to send it.

After about maybe a good ten minutes of going back and forth, he finally sent it. The message read, "Hey Blu, are u up?". Mackenzie immediately regretted sending it.

"Why would I disturb her? She needs her sleep too.", he scolded himself, slapping his forehead in disappointment. "It's not like she's actually awake right now.".

As if on cue, Mackenzie's phone dinged, proving him wrong. He gave a small chuckle and looked at the message.

"Yes Kenzie I am, but why are u?", Bluey's text message read.

Mackenzie's heart fluttered at the nickname he so loved as he read her response. He loved any nickname that he was given by her, as long as it wasn't rude. Mackenzie shook off the feeling he had possessed seconds ago. He had to pretend that he hated the nickname to hide any possibility of romantic feelings to be discovered by Bluey.

"Or anyone for that matter.", he reasoned. Mackenzie sent a response back to Bluey that read, "One don't call me 'Kenzie' because it's girly, and two, I woke up an hour before my alarm.". He added the sobbing emoji for a bit of "spice" to the message.

Bluey texted back almost immediately. "One, then don't call me 'Blu', and two, oh well stinks for you", she had sent, along with the laughing emoji.

Mackenzie laughed a little as he read the response due to Bluey copying the format of his previous message. Mackenzie responded with an emoji rolling its eyes. He waited patiently for Bluey to text back. (Well, maybe not so patiently.)

After about two minutes, she finally responded. Mackenzie was happy to have gotten a message from her, only to discover that she had said, "Alright I gtg see u at school!", along with a peace sign and smiling face emoji. He mentally slapped his forehead.

"It's not like she's gonna confess her feelings to me, I'm so stupid.", he sadly laughed. Mackenzie typed up a reply. "Bye", it said. He then added a heart emoji to the message. His finger hovered over the blue arrow icon. Mackenzie quickly deleted the heart, replaced it with a smiling emoji, and sent the message.

"Ughhh!", Mackenzie groaned and threw a paw to his forehead. "I cannot do that again!", he sighed and got out of bed, then started to get ready for the day.

------------------------------------------------------------