Chapter Five: Denial - Mackenzie's POV

"I don't know, mate... I just don't think he's a good person...", Mackenzie protested, frowning a little as he said it.

"Are you sure you're not just being jealous?", Lucky asked, looking over at his friend. "He doesn't seem bad.", he reasoned.

Mackenzie looked over at Lucky, frowning. "I'm not lying... you should've seen how he acted once she left.", he reasoned.

Lucky cocked his head to the side quizzically. "But then why would he act all nice in front of Bluey, but defensive with only you?", Lucky asked.

Mackenzie slapped his paw to his forehead, closing his eyes for a second and shaking his head in disappointment. He opened his eyes seconds later and rolled them. "No wonder you and Winnie aren't together yet.", he laughed.

Lucky blushed and quickly looked away at the sound of his crush's name.

Mackenzie simply laughed. "You've got it bad mate.".

"Oh, shut up.", Lucky turned his head back to look at Mackenzie, the blush now gone. "Anyways, about that Jean-Luc dude...", Lucky said.

Mackenzie smirked. "Changing the subject, are we?".

Lucky just glared at Mackenzie in return.

Mackenzie laughed.

"No, but seriously. The french dude?", Lucky inquired.

Mackenzie laughed once again. "Is that just gonna be his nickname?", he smiled.

Lucky laughed as well. "I guess.", he responded, shrugging.

"Anyways... I think the reason Jean-Luc was so rude and defensive was OBVIOUSLY because he likes Bluey.", Mackenzie reasoned.

"Well, duh. Who doesn't?", Lucky asked as a joke.

Mackenzie rolled his eyes. "You know what I mean.", he replied, annoyed.

Lucky laughed. "Yea, I do. Well... on another note, you have some competition.".

Mackenzie blushed and looked away. "I don't know what you're talking about.", he responded.

Lucky rolled his eyes. "Somebody's in denialllll!", Lucky teased in a singsong voice.

Mackenzie turned to look at Lucky finally. "Shut up!", he joked, pushing his best mate's shoulder.

After about five more minutes of teasing the other, they arrived at the school grounds. The bell rang, and everyone hurried to get to their classes.

"Alright, see you at lunch, mate!", Lucky waved to Mackenzie before he turned to walk to his first period.

"Yep, see you then!", Mackenzie replied, smiling, then turned around himself to walk to his first period.

As Mackenzie was walking, Bluey magically appeared by his side. He didn't notice, however.

"Hey Kenzie!", Bluey greeted happily.

Mackenzie jumped, startled. Then, he just laughed. "You have got to stop scaring me like that, Blu!", he reasoned.

Bluey giggled. "Sorry. But I needed to talk to you about something.", she said.

"Ok. What is it?", Mackenzie asked, cocking his head to the side.

"About yesterday. Jean-Luc wasn't doing anything wrong. You didn't have to be rude.", she frowned.

"But-", Mackenzie started to argue.

"No buts. You shouldn't have been mean to him.", she reasoned.

Mackenzie frowned. "He was mean to me too!", he protested.

"Are you really doing this right now?", Bluey deadpanned.

"You're right. Sorry mum.", Mackenzie smirked.

Bluey glared at Mackenzie, but she couldn't hold her seriousness any longer and laughed.

Mackenzie smiled as he gazed at Bluey. Her laugh was so angelic. I've never noticed how beautiful her bluebell eyes are., Mackenzie thought to himself.

"Alright, I have to get to class now, bye!", Bluey waved with a smile on her face, then left.

Mackenzie stood frozen just watching Bluey walk away. He looked down at the floor. "Why doesn't she believe me? I wasn't the only one who was being 'rude'! Jean-Luc was too!", Mackenzie reasoned.

"On another note, Bluey didn't get mad about the nickname!", Mackenzie celebrated. "Progress!", he smiled.

Then, Mackenzie realized something from before he celebrated. Maybe I care too much., he thought. "Why do I even care so much?", he asked himself.

"Maybe because I have a crush on her?", he asked himself. Or maybe I love her., he thought, but then quickly shook that idea out of his head. "I don't love her. My feelings aren't that strong.", he shook his head.

"Or maybe I do love her...", he trailed off. "No, I don't. At all. It's just a crush.", he reasoned. Then, he walked to his own first period like he was supposed to do in the first place.

——————————————————————

Looks like someone's in denialllll!! Dw, he'll realize that he loves her sometime soon. In the meantime, thanks so much for reading! Love y'all! 💕