Chapter Nine: Heartbreak - Mackenzie's POV

"He WHAT???", Mackenzie yelled, snapped his head to face Bluey, and stopped walking.

Bluey stopped as well. "Jean-Luc asked me out! I just told yo-", Bluey attempted to clarify, but was cut off by Mackenzie.

"I know. I heard you. I just don't think I believe that he did that.", he explained, annoyed.

"Kenzie, calm down!", Bluey attempted to reason.

Mackenzie's heart fluttered. She needs to stop with the nickname! It's like she knows it's my weakness..., Mackenzie thought and shook his head.

"I'm sorry Bluey, I didn't mean to snap at you.", he apologized sincerely and sighed, looking down at the ground.

"That's ok, but back to the issue. I'm so nervous about my date!", Bluey panicked, and she continued walking.

Mackenzie started back up walking again as well. "Look, I really don't think he's-", Mackenzie attempted to explain, but was cut off by Bluey.

"Look! It's sprinkling!", Bluey looked at Mackenzie and smiled. She held her paw out and watched as a raindrop fell onto it.

Mackenzie looked at Bluey as she admired the rain, smiling. She's so adorable., he thought and smiled to himself. No wonder I fell in love with her... He held his paw out and felt the rain too.

"You're right! Look at that!", Mackenzie smiled, turning his head to look at her.

She smiled as well. "Remember when we would always dance in the rain together when we were younger?", she asked.

"Yep. Like it was yesterday.", Mackenzie responded.

How could he forget? It was those times that he could escape reality and just have fun with his best friend in the whole universe. Mackenzie smiled as he remembered those days.

He then looked at Bluey and smiled, then tipped his head up and stuck his tongue out.

Bluey laughed. "What are you doing?", she questioned.

"I'm just trying to get a raindrop to land on my tongue.", Mackenzie replied, but it sounded weird because he said it while he still had his tongue out.

Bluey giggled. "Seriously?", she asked.

Mackenzie put his head back down and stuck his tongue back in. He turned his head to Bluey. "Come on, join me!", Mackenzie smiled.

Bluey rolled her eyes. "Fine.", she gave in and did as Mackenzie did.

They were both gathering raindrops on their tongues and laughing. It was the best time ever.

Mackenzie was so happy that Bluey forgot about Jean-Luc, but then she was back to talking about him.

"But I'm so nervous!", Bluey told Mackenzie.

The rain turned from a sprinkle to a shower.

"I really don't think he's a good person, Blu...", Mackenzie reasoned.

Bluey stopped walking and Mackenzie followed suit.

She looked very annoyed. "What is your problem with him?? He's a good person!", she defended, angry.

Mackenzie was taken aback. "I just... I was just trying to look out for you...", Mackenzie attempted to explain himself.

"Well I can look out for myself. Also don't call me 'Blu'. I already told you I don't like it!", Bluey yelled.

The rain strengthened into a downpour.

Mackenzie was angry and confused. "Why don't you care about Jean-Luc calling you the nickname?", Mackenzie questioned.

And then, what was said next was what broke Mackenzie's heart. Little did he know, this was one of the least of his worries.

"Because I happen to like him!", Bluey yelled back.

Mackenzie was hurt. Bluey let her crush of three weeks call her a nickname that she apparently didn't mind being called, but not her childhood friend from when she was a toddler.

"Oh. Ok.", Mackenzie looked down at the floor to hide his sadness.

The rain was still pounding.

"Anyways... I'm going on the date whether you like it or not.", Bluey stated.

Mackenzie looked back up and frowned. "Bluey, I'm serious. I really don't think he's a good dude!", he pleaded.

Bluey glared at Mackenzie. "Well I think he's pretty fine to me!", she said.

"Well I don't!", Mackenzie yelled.

"Why do you even care so much??", Bluey demanded.

Before Mackenzie could stop it, he accidentally let it slip.

"Because I love you!", Mackenzie replied, his voice cracking because of his misery.

His eyes widened and he clapped a paw to his mouth immediately after he had said it. Mackenzie regretted letting that slip, because Bluey's reaction broke him.

Bluey froze. There was a long silence.

The rain was as strong as ever.

"Oh... I... I don't know what to say...", Bluey nervously spat out.

Mackenzie only covered his face in embarrassment.

"I... don't feel the same. I'm so sorry.", Bluey apologized.

That was when Mackenzie's heart shattered into pieces.

Jean-Luc had won.

———————————————————————

Dude this was honestly better than writing Jeanly bc there's some Blukenzie 😭

Love y'all!!💓💕 Tysm for reading!