Two: Emma

My Aunt isn't ashamed of me. That's not why she dropped my arm and makes me sit ducked in the taxi. But part of me still thinks that's the reason. It's not. I'm ducked over so no one spots me with her. I don't think anyone will though. I think that's just my aunt worrying.

It's better to be safe than sorry.

So, I sit ducked over, even as I want to take the city in and see all it's beauty that it holds. Maybe my exchange family will take me on a tour when we meet tomorrow.

"When we get to the hotel you'll get in first and wait in the lobby while I get us checked in."

"Sounds good." I turn my neck to look at her. She sits rigid and looks out the window.

"And when you see me walk away from the desk wait two minutes before following me."

I nod. Is this a test? Is she making sure I can follow orders? "Do you really think anyone at the hotel will recognize you and ruin our plan?"

She sighs and turns to me. "You never know, so it's better to be safe than-"

"Sorry."

She beams. "Good. So you understand where I'm coming from?"

I nod. The hovertaxi pulls to a stop. The window separating the driver from us slides down as the door slides open.

"I'll see you inside," my aunt says before turning to the driver.

I nod before getting out and heading to the trunk. The driver already has it popped open for me, my suitcase waiting for me. It takes me a moment to heft it out of the trunk but I finally manage it, wiping sweat off my forehead afterwards. Before I can even close the trunk the driver is speeding away. I furrow my brows. Did my aunt already get out? I glance towards the door that slides shut.

Shit.

I pull my handle out and race into the building. How can I already be messing this up? This part isn't even the mission.

The door slides open as I'm an inch from it. The cool air slaps me in the face. It's weird to enter a building that is cooler than the biodome. Back home the buildings tend to be hotter. Dad always said it's to help the dying environment, but I'm starting to wonder if that was really true or if home was just too poor to spend money on the nice expanses.

The hotel is even bigger on the inside. The walls look as if they're made of gold, and fake plants litter the lobby. I guess even the richest countries can't risk spending money on the real stuff. I slide my gaze around the room while making my way over to the seating area.

My aunt stands at the desk, her fingers tapping loudly as the lady helping her sweats. I plop down in one of the big red oval armchairs that faces the room and has my back to the wall. The longer my aunt waits the louder and faster her fingers tap.

I almost feel bad for the lady.

"Why can't I just scan my chip?" my aunt demands.

The lady's gaze flicks up from her holocom. "Our scanner broke this morning. We have someone coming to fix it today but right now we're back to doing it the old way."

My aunt sighs. "Well hurry up! My feet are sore from travelling all day and I want to rest!"

The ladys eyes widen as she turns back to her screen. "Right, of course. Sorry."

It takes another few minutes before the lady asks for my aunts arm. She grabs a little square from her desk and holds it above my aunts chip. A blue light emits from the square before it dissolves in her fingers. "There you go ma'am."