Twelve: Emma

I don't get a chance to try to sneak into their basement until Friday night. Mr and Mrs Mars are taking Jax to an appointment of his and Sam is going out. As much as I tried to pry to find out where she's going, how long she'll be gone, she refused to tell me.

"You don't even want to tell me in case you get kidnapped?"

She rolls her eyes as she slides into her heels. She wears a long midnight blue dress that hangs a little low in the chest area. Her hair is held up in a bun and pearl earrings dangle from her ears. "I won't get kidnapped."

I try to keep my eyes on her face. "Are you sure? You're the daughter of billionaires."

She nods. "I'm sure."

I sigh. "Fine. Don't tell me anything then."

She shakes her head, and her bun shakes a lot. "I'm not even going to be gone long enough to get kidnapped."

"You can be kidnapped within seconds."

"Whatever, Emma. I'm just going to a friends party."

Now I let my eyes slide up and down her. I try to make it look like I'm judging her but I think we both know that isn't true. "Dressed like that?"

She attempts a chuckle. "Rich people, am I right?"

I nod, suddenly feeling very underdressed.

"Anyways, Mother and Father should be back in an hour with Jax. He'll keep you busy when they get back."

"Right."

She opens the front door. "Don't get too lonely without me."

"I won't." A smirk finds it's way back onto my face.

Her eyes twinkle. "I'm sure you won't." Then she's gone, the door closing behind her.

One. Two. Three.

When the door doesn't open, I spin around and head for the door that heads to the basement. So I assume. Sam never actually showed me the door that led to the basement, just told me it's off-limits and blah blah blah, but I'm pretty sure it's not that hard to figure out since it's the only door she didn't show me.

I pass the Mars office and down to the end of the hall. It's a little darker and colder down here. A shiver runs down my spine making me hug my arms around myself.

The door looks normal and like any other door in their house. But there's something creepier about it that I can't place my finger on. Before I can even reach out to open it a blue light flashes before my feet. My eyes widen as the light starts to move up my body. I follow the beam of it up to a scanner that sits above the door.

Shit.

How did I miss that? As the light hits the top of my head it turns red. "Access denied." Sounds throughout the hall.

That can't be good. How do I get in if it won't let me? And what if it lets the Mars' know I was down here and tried to get in? I turn away from the door. Maybe there's some way I can spin this. I was wandering around, came across the door and before I could walk away it started to scan me. But... why would they have security outside their basement?

I look over my shoulder and gnaw on my lip. They're hiding something down there. I just know it. But what could they possibly be hiding?

***

"Emma!" Jax yells down the hall the moment the door is open. I don't even have time to put my pen down and stand up before he's rushing into the kitchen and hopping into my arms.

"Woah buddy!" I stumble backwards, trying to maintain the motion he had. "You gotta give me a second before jumping at me."

He pulls back so he can look at my face. "Sowwy."