Eleven: Emma

I exit the room as quietly as I can, but the whoosh of the door is still louder than I hoped it would be. I stand and wait for a moment, making sure that the person wandering around doesn't come down here. When it stays silent I make my way back to my room - making sure to avoid the creaking step on the way up.

I'm inches from my room, my legs shaking under me and my eyes drooping closed when the person shows themselves. I jump back as my door opens to reveal Sam sitting on my bed. "What are you doing in here?" I whisper, checking over my shoulder to make sure I'm not being ambushed.

"I got up to use the bathroom," Sam shrugs. "And I thought I heard someone down there. So I went to look and there was no one."

"And how does that lead to you ending up in my room?" I ask a little louder now that my door is closed.

She goes to brush a strand of hair behind her ear before stopping because her hair isn't hanging loose. Her hair is rolled up in curlers, making her look like a little old lady. Her hand drops back to her lap. "I knew that if anyone would be up it would be you. Jax sleeps through the whole night and when he doesn't get up it's for a nightmare. So he would go to my room."

"And what about your parents?"

She rolls her eyes. "This is their rest hours. They don't leave their room at night. So, I came in here looking for you, because surely you couldn't be looking for the bathroom since you have one."

I gulp. There goes my the lie I was going to use. "I got hungry."

We both see through the lie. "I looked in the kitchen. No one was there."

"I got lost?" I shrug.

She sighs and pushes off my bed. "Alright. Next time you need a snack, come to me, okay? I don't want you to get lost in this place. Especially not the basement."

"Why not the basement?"

Her eyes widen. "It's a maze down there." She chuckles.

This time it's her lie we see through.

She brushes past me and to the door. It slides open before her, soundless. "Goodnight, Emma."

"Goodnight, Sam."

We don't break eye contact until the door closes and forces us to. That's when my beating heart grows so loud it's the only thing I hear. I collapse onto my bed as a huge burst of breath escapes me.

She's onto me.

***

Thankfully it's a quiet day at school. No Blake, no confrontation with Sam, and all the teachers leave me alone.

It's not until the end of the day that I get a notification that my pants are in. A little squeal escapes me when I see the messages.

"What's got you so excited?" Sam asks, sliding up beside me.

I show her the pop up from my screen. She grins.

"I can finally stop feeling the breeze after someone walks by me!"

She laughs. "It's not that bad."

I roll my eyes. "You're used to it. Plus, everyone would be disappointed if you stopped wearing a skirt."

She frowns.

I shut my locker. "If you stop-"

"I know what you mean." A smirk grows on her face. "I just didn't realize you noticed the view."

My cheeks grow hot as I duck my head and start walking away from her. But her laughter follows me all the way to the office. When I walk in the front desk lady looks up at me. Her brows lowered as she tries to place me.