Chapter 4: 𝑺𝒎𝒊𝒍𝒆 𝑴𝒚 𝑫𝒆𝒂𝒓

As Charlie began to regain consciousness, she began to hear slow jazz music playing while someone was softly humming. Her eyes slowly began to open. "Ah, you're awake!" said a voice in a whimsical tone. She sat upright and saw that she was sitting on her bed. She was... back in her room? But how? She looked at her hands and wrists, and checked her face for any blood. The cuts were all healed. The marks were gone. She wasn't bleeding out anymore. It was like she was never injured in the first place. "It took quite a while to heal you my dear. You looked pretty bruised up," said the voice again. She looked around to see where the voice was coming from. She saw Alastor sitting on the edge of her bed. Then Charlie remembered for a brief moment what happened before she passed out. Alastor was there. Standing over her. He picked her up and said she'd be okay. It all became clear to Charlie now. Alastor had taken care of her. Charlie smiled at Alastor.

"Thank you Alastor," said Charlie.

"No need to thank me Charlie, it is my job to keep you safe after all," said Alastor. "And you're my best friend, I care about you too much to let you get hurt."

"I care about you too Alastor," Charlie said. Then, she realized something. "Wait a minute, how did you know where the basement was? How did you know I was even down there?"

"I knew you were going to ask that eventually. You see, I was worried that you two would fight again." Alastor summoned his shadows. "So I sent them to keep an eye on you two." Charlie looked very worried.

"Did they see everything?" said Charlie in a quiet voice. Alastor sighed.

"They said they saw you get hurt by Sevanthian," said Alastor in a serious tone. Charlie was silent. "Charlie I'm worried about you. Don't worry, you can tell me anything," Alastor said to her with a soft smile.

"Promise not to tell?" asked Charlie.

"Cross my heart," Alastor replied. Charlie took a deep breath.

"Sevanthian doesn't like me having friends because he's afraid I'll cheat on him. So when he learned that we were best friends, he didn't want me to see you anymore."

'Just like Vaggie,' thought Alastor.

"He also has these rules that I have to follow, and if I don't follow them, I... I get hurt." Charlie was silent for a few seconds.

"He doesn't support you, he tries to control you, and he physically hurts you? It seems to me that he really doesn't care about how you feel," said Alastor.

"No no no, he does care. He's just always angry with me," said Charlie sadly. "I don't blame him though. I'm a pretty shitty girlfriend." Tears started to leak from her eyes. "I try my best to make him happy, but I never do. I really must be that horrible."

"Charlie," Alastor said in disbelief.

"Yeah he may hurt me, but he only does it because he cares. I'm the one who doesn't care. It's my fault," Charlie sniffed. "It's always my fault."

"Charlie, look at me," said Alastor lifting Charlie's chin up till her eyes met his. "Now I'm no genius when it comes to relationships Charlie, but I don't need to be a genius to know that this is not okay," he said shaking his head. "Sevanthian has no right to be treating you like this. He has no control over you, and he has absolutely no right to hurt you." Alastor wiped Charlie's tears. "None of what he has done to you, is your fault."

"But Alastor-"

"But nothing!" Alastor interrupted Charlie mid sentence. "This can't continue Charlie. I don't want to see you hurting. You need to break up with him."

"I can't! What if he tries to hurt you and Vaggie? What if he beats me again?"

"Don't worry Charlie. As long as I'm here with you, he will never lay his filthy hands on you or Vaggie. As for me, I think I'll manage. I am one of the most powerful overlords after all," Alastor said with a smile. "Now come my dear, let's see that smile." Charlie tried her best to crack a smile, but she still felt really upset.

"Sorry Al, I'm really trying but-"

"It seems you're having some difficulty," interrupted Alastor. He put his arm around Charlie. "Don't worry, I have a solution," he said twisting his monocle a few times until a song began to play. It was a song Charlie knew all too well. It always worked every single time. Whether she was sad or angry, it always cheered her up. Sometimes Alastor would tease her with the song and make her flustered.

"Alastor, don't you dare," she threatened. Alastor just gave her a sly smirk and grabbed his microphone.

"Come on Charlie, you love this song!" Alastor said in a teasing tone.

"Do not!" Charlie huffed and turned away from Alastor. Alastor laughed.

"Oh really? I guess we'll see then." Alastor started to sing.

Hey noble man, hey dapper dan

You both got your style

But brother you're never fully dressed without a smile

Alastor winked at Charlie. Charlie blushed deeply. "Stop it!" she said flustered.

Your clothes may be Beau Brummelly, they stand out a mile

But brother you're never fully dressed without a smile

"Alastor, I swear!" Charlie threatened. Alastor held out his hand.

"Come on, you know the lyrics Charlie! Join me, you know you want to," he said in a flirty tone of voice. Charlie blushed and turned away.

"No!" she huffed. Then Alastor's shadows appeared and encouraged Charlie to join Alastor. Charlie groaned. "Fine, I'll do it. You smug little stag," she grumbled. Charlie and Alastor started to sing together.

Who cares what they're wearing on Main St. or Savile Row

It's what you where from ear to ear, and not from head to toe

"Sing it Charlie!" Alastor said. Charlie sighed and sang in a soft, beautiful voice.

That matters

"That's my charming demon belle!" Alastor cheered. Charlie giggled and smiled. "Ah, there it is! There's that beautiful smile."

"I hate you," Charlie said in a playful tone. Alastor laughed. The two then started to dance around the room. They continued to sing.

So senator, so janitor

So long for a while

Remember you're never fully dressed

Though you may wear the best

You're never fully dressed without a-

"Princess, your father is gathering everyone for a special announcement. He would like to see you in the main hall immediately. Please inform the Radio Demon as well," said a voice on the other side of Charlie's door. The music stopped suddenly. Alastor and Charlie were a bit upset they didn't get to finish the song, but they just let it go for now.

"Sigh, I guess we'll have to finish this later. Let's go Al," Charlie said walking out of the room.

"Right behind you princess," said Alastor following close behind.