~Chapter 1~

The crackling sound of fire echoed in my ears accompanied by the gentle clanging sound of metal. A fragrant aroma wafted into my nose, causing me to awake from hunger. As soon as I opened my eyes, I felt a dull ache. I looked down in surprise to see each of my wounds neatly bandaged. As I began to sit up, the blankets rustled which alerted the girl who was happily cooking in the kitchen.

"Ah the sleeping beauty is finally awake!" A pair of dazzling clear emerald eyes looked at me with curiosity. "You must be hungry. I've made some chicken soup." The girl gave me a beautiful grin before turning around and picking up a ladle, filling it with soup. White mist rose from inside the large metal pan. Her beautiful green hair fell beyond her shoulders, concealing her shoulder blades. She wore an elegant backless black dress. It hugged the top half of her figure and flowed from the waist down.

I remained on the sofa, peaking cautiously at my surroundings. The kitchen was large and expansive with a window to the side that peered into the front garden. Red lush roses seemed to wave at me from behind the glass. Sunshine coated the kitchen with a dazzling golden glow. As I looked behind me, I noticed many picture frames hanging on the lime green wall. In the pictures, it captured many of the happy memories of the girl. Her dazzling smile captured in the pictures captivated me. I felt a gentle tap on my shoulder. Turning around I saw the same girl standing in front of me, handing me a bowl of hot soup.

"Here eat. Your body needs to regain its strength." She held the soup before me. I gazed at her pale hands and then at the contents of the soup. Orange squares floated through the muddy broth. Streaks of chicken intertwined with the noodles. The fragrant smell wafted throughout the room. I couldn't resist salivating at the sight. It had been a long time since I had eaten a hot meal. I resisted the urge to take the bowl and looked up and stared into her deep green eyes.

"Why did you help me?" I tilted my head in confusion. "My eyes..."

"Your eyes are very beautiful," responded the girl. Startled by her response, I looked away. Was this human girl perhaps a fool? Or was she acting like she didn't know the truth? My heart sunk.

"Red eyes mean I am a demon," I said with a tinge of sadness. I did not dare to look back for fear of seeing disgust, horror or hatred in her eyes. Since for as long as I can remember, demons and humans have been at war with one another. We were enemies.

A loud sigh interrupted my thoughts.

"And? If you were in my shoes would you have neglected someone who was bleeding to death?"

I shook my head.

"So why are you being so stubborn. Eat your soup and don't let it get cold. I worked hard to make this you know." The girl pouted and shoved the bowl of soup into my hands before walking away to grab hers. She then sat beside me on the black leather sofa and stared at me. I looked away and down at the soup. My stomach growled from hunger. I reluctantly reached for the spoon and took a sip of the broth. The soup had a rich and refreshing taste, exciting my tastebuds. Content that it wasn't poisoned, I hastily began devouring the rest. Seeing this, the girl beside me giggled.

"I am glad you like it. I am currently trying to improve my culinary skills so in the future I can create even yummier meals. Oh! I almost forgot to introduce myself. My name is Renna. It's a pleasure to meet you. What is your name?"

"Kocho." I paused before glancing back at Renna. "Thank you."

"You're welcome Kochooo," Renna flashed me a dazzling smile. She then took my bowl and hers before approaching the sink to wash up. Wanting to help, I stood up and tried to approach her. But, as I stood up, I winced in pain and crashed back onto the couch. The loud thud caused Renna to turn around with a disapproving look.

"Oi, where do you think you're running off to?" She waved a wooden spoon at me like a magic wand as she scolded. "You're in no fit state to go anywhere, let alone stand. You were on the brink of death only a few days ago. Go close your eyes and rest."

I looked away dejected and felt wronged. All I wanted to do was help. I clutched the blanket and wrapped it around me. I closed my eyes. The bright world became swallowed by darkness once more. The sound of running water and the gentle humming faded into the distance as I sunk into a deep sleep.

"Kocho! Honey come here." A familiar voice sounded. "Are you not going to open your present?"

As my sight focused, I gasped. I was back in the home I grew up in as a child. Everything looked identical as it did a decade ago. A wave of nostalgia and fond memories consumed me. My room had always looked like a mini library. I adored reading stories of myths and legends. The only wall that was not covered by books was the wall beside my bed. There was a faded fluffy rug in the shape of a rose that lay on the wooden floor. I received that rug as a gift from my mum as she'd catch me sitting on the floor reading.

I looked up to see my mum sitting beside me on my bed. She wore a warm smile and her red eyes twinkled. Her black wings were neatly folded behind her. She wore an enchanting Chinese style dress that revealed her voluptuous figure. Ruffling my hair, my mum winked at me. Before me was a small white box on my lap. I removed the lid of the box. There lay, on a red cushion, a beautiful golden butterfly necklace.

"Happy birthday honey!"

I hugged my mum tightly. Tears of happiness welled up in my eyes and a smile crept onto my face.

"Here let me help you put the necklace on. Turn around please sweetie."

"Kocho?"

The dream faded and I returned back to darkness.

"Kochooooo! Wakey wakey." I opened my eyes to see Renna standing over me, nudging me awake. Annoyed that I was interrupted from such a pleasant dream, I glared at her.

"Jesus Christ. That is one scary expression. I woke you up as I need you to go bathe so I can change your bandages."

I sighed. Nodding in understanding, I then tilted my head.

"If you're asking where the bathroom is, take the left and then turn left again," Renna responded.

I followed the directions and found a hot bath waiting for me. There were candles flickering, illuminating the darkness. It gave a peaceful and tranquil feeling. I began removing my clothes and unwrapping my bandages. I looked at my reflection in the mirror. My long purple hair draped over my shoulders and fell down to my waist. My wounds had begun to heal, forming different shaped scabs across my body. I looked haggard and exhausted. My eyes rested on my butterfly necklace. I smiled sadly whilst looking at it.

Deciding not to remember the past, I plopped into the bath. Water splashed around me before coming still. The warmth of the water was soothing; it was like a comforting hug telling me everything would be okay. I could feel my worries disappearing. The fragrant smell of honey and almonds filled the room. I lay there for a while before washing up and then exiting the bath. Seeing a towel on the side, I wrapped it around my pear-shaped figure before heading back to where Renna was.

"You sure took your sweet time," Renna said chuckling.

I looked away bashfully. I guess I had lost track of time. It was a long time since I had a hot bath and I didn't want to leave.

"Come sit beside me so I can bandage you back up." Renna patted an empty space beside her on the sofa. I walked over and sat down beside her. Lifting my arm up, she put an ointment on and began bandaging me up.

"So miss silent one, what exactly happened to you to get these wounds?"

I looked at Renna, conflicted whether I should trust her or not. Whilst she did save me and take care of me, I knew too little about her. It would be unwise to tell her the truth. Besides we were born to be enemies.

"Soo I take the silence as you not wanting to share?"

"I am not ready to." I shook my head.

"Hmm. That is okay, when you're ready to open up I will listen to you Kocho," Renna smiled. She then continued to tentatively attend to all my wounds.