~Chapter 3~

The ticking of the clock did little to entertain my boredom. I was sitting on the sofa cross legged, staring into the distance. I watched as the second hand of the clock jumped across each of the numbers. A large golden pendulum, below the clock, swung side to side. Beside it was a fireplace where a fire danced. Its crackles seemed as if it was laughing happily. On top of the fireplace mantel were a bouquet of cyclamens. Their pink dainty petals contrasted the lime green wall. The flowers were extremely beautiful. Also on top of the mantel were more pictures of Renna and her dazzling smile.

Since Renna had gone out and I was alone in her cabin, I decided to kill some time and explore. I hoped off the couch and walked into the kitchen. There was a small shelf of cooking books. Interested, I picked up one. As I began flicking through the pages, I saw many pictures of delicious foods. My stomach growled like a lion from hunger. Seeing a recipe for some fluffy golden eggs, I decided to try making it as it looked relatively easy. But, as I began reading the recipe, there were some words I couldn't understand. Demons use a different language to humans to converse with one another. Before I lived my life on the run, I had began learning the language humans use. However, I hadn't achieved full mastery in reading and writing it yet. Sighing from frustration, I looked at the images and tried to discern what to do. I hoped I could make a nice meal for both Renna and I before she returned.

Rolling up my sleeves, I grabbed a bowl and two eggs. I then cracked the eggs against the bowl. The insides of the egg spilled out and two golden eyes stared back at me. However, I noticed there some pesky eggshells inside the bowl. Cursing under my breath, I tried to grab them to no avail. There seemed to be some mystical force that made them evade my grasp. I looked for a spoon and scooped them out tactfully. Next I used the spoon to mix the eggs together to try and match the picture in the book of a golden mixture. Once satisfied, I looked for a small metal pan. Placing it on top of the hob and lighting a fire, I rechecked with the book. I scratched my head from puzzlement. I couldn't understand how to tell if the eggs were cooked. Shrugging to myself, I poured the egg mixture into the hot pan. The eggs sizzled before coagulating rapidly. I stirred the mixture. When I noticed the edges started to turn black I panicked and removed the pan off the heat. At that moment I heard the sound of the front door swing open.

"Kochooo! I am backkk!" Renna's voice echoed down the hallway.

I panicked and stood in front of the pan, trying to hide it. I heard Renna's footsteps as she walked towards the kitchen. My heart rate increased. I hoped she won't be mad at me for wasting some eggs. Taking a deep breath I looked up to see Renna carrying some bags. She dumped the bags she was carrying on the kitchen countertop and then stared at me.

"What is with that very suspicious look on your face? Hmm?" Renna questioned me. I adverted my eyes away from her questioning gaze.

"Scooch over and let me see. I can clearly tell you were cooking," she pointed at the evidence. I reluctantly moved to the side. Renna inspected the slightly burnt scrambled eggs and tasted it.

"Hmm, this isn't half bad. You lack seasoning and the eggs are a bit burnt but otherwise it is a good attempt."

"It's my first try." I said a bit flustered, "I can only roast meat and fish well."

Renna patted my head, "I'll teach you later how to make some good scrambled eggs. For now sit. I'll make us some food using the eggs you cooked." She then went to one of the bags she had dumped earlier and took out some freshly baked bread. The smell made my stomach growl again with renewed passion. I blushed a bit from embarrassment. Renna transferred the eggs into a bowl and added both black pepper and some white sauce. She mixed the ingredients together.

"What is that white sauce?" I asked.

"Mayonnaise. It makes even burnt eggs taste good," Renna chuckled. I pouted.

After a minute, Renna slid a plate towards me with the scrambled egg sandwich. I took a bite.

"Delicious," I commented.

"I'm glad you like it and thanks for helping me cook," Renna smiled. "Oh yeah! It's my 18th birthday soon. I'm super excited. Downside is I need to head to the capital."

"Why?" I enquired.

"Ahh, when you're 18 years old you are able to awaken your soul form. I'm super curious what mine is. Every living being that has a soul has the ability to awaken it. It can take on the form of a weapon or an animal, often reflecting a person's true nature. You are also tested to see if you have any elemental affinities. Though, having an elemental affinity depends on chance," Renna patiently explained. "Do demons have something similar?"

I shook my head, "we train our bodies instead." After a pause I asked a question on my mind, "Can I also awaken my soul form? I'm 18."

"Of course! You should come to the capital with me," Renna said excitedly.

I nodded and then shook my head. I pointed towards my eyes.

"Ahh that isn't an issue. I already thought of a work around," Renna winked. She went over to another bag she had brought back and revealed a black cloth.

"Tadah, a blindfold," Renna said proudly. "It should hide the colour of your eyes annndd since you're a demon it shouldn't be an issue for you to see through it. The downside is you'll need to act blind in public. Soo we will train you after you finished eating."

I nodded in understanding.

Outside, the sun was beginning to set. The sky was a multitude of colours: blue, orange and pink. The trees around the cabin casted long black shadows. It looked like a silent audience watching us. Renna stood several meters away from me. Her green hair was neatly tied in a ponytail. She wore a short black and white chequered skirt paired with a black fleece top to keep her warm. Her feet were a shoulder width apart with her knees slightly bent.

I closed my eyes. I focused on sensing my surroundings through the use of my other senses. I could hear the wind howling in my ears. I could feel the coldness prickling at my skin. I took a deep breath to centre myself.

"Here I come," Renna said. I heard the sound of light thuds as Renna ran towards me. I braced myself for impact by getting into position. I felt the air around me on the left side distort and I dodged to the right.

"Eh?" Renna exclaimed. She then followed up with another attack. My 6th sense screamed at me and on reflex I hopped backwards. I could feel I narrowly missed a kick. I felt a burning gaze on me.

"You're not cheating are you?" questioned Renna. I shook my head. I then signalled with my hands for Renna to come at me again. Renna then adjusted her footsteps so they were silent. I stood still and did my best to sense her presence and where the next attack would come from. I then sensed danger again, this time aiming for my head. I raised both my arms on top of my head in a X shape to guard. A heavy kick fell into my arms, softening the impact. I felt no pain.

"Fuck, it feels like I kicked a rock." Whilst Renna was cursing, I grabbed her leg causing her to lose balance. She began to fall, bringing me down with her. I opened my eyes and caught myself. My hands rested on the ground either side of her. Her green eyes looked back at me bewildered. Her green hair fanned out behind her. She was panting heavily.

"You're amazing at this Kocho. Training you was pointless," Renna sighed in defeat.

"Practice makes perfect," I replied. Afterall, having a target on your back 24/7 for the last 10 years made my reflexes quite sharp. I had to constantly escape from danger. As a result, dodging and sensing danger came as second nature to me.

"Teach me please," begged Renna.

"If you teach me how to cook, I will teach you how to fight."

"Deal!"

I rolled away and stood up. I then stretched out my hand to Renna. Her warm hand held onto mine as she picked herself up. She then retracted her hand and brushed off the dirt and leaves from her clothes.

"I suppose we can set off to the capital sooner than I thought. It's a long journey from here, especially since we will be travelling by foot. I hope you don't mind camping outside Kocho. Plus, we'll likely encounter monsters on the way."

"Not an issue."

"Awesome, we'll set off tomorrow."