~Chapter 12~

The village chief struck his cane onto the ground with each step, creating a constant loud thump. A dust cloud concealed the elderly man, revealing only his silhouette. As he came closer to Kolohe, one couldn't help notice his blue eyes - they were like a stormy sea. He carried a stern expression as he looked down angrily at his grandson.

"I heard you were causing a ruckus whilst I was away. Is this true?" Asked Kolohe's grandfather. His knuckles began to lose colour from gripping his cane tightly. His hands trembled slightly from anger.

Kolohe was shaking from fear. His previous arrogant attitude immediately vanished. All that was left was a timid boy. Kolohe meekly nodded his head whilst refusing to make eye contact with his grandfather. He knew he couldn't lie. If he did, the consequences would be dire.

The village elder grabbed Kolohe up by his collar, forcing Kolohe to look into his raging blue eyes. "Will you do it again?"

"N..no," Kolohe stuttered. He shook his head vigorously. "I'll behave."

"Darned brat, you said that last time and look at the trouble you've caused everyone. Apologise."

Under the intense stares of the villagers that had gathered, Kolohe started to sob. His small body shook, making him look pitiful. "I'm sorry. I no do it again." After Kolohe had finished apologising, the village chief let Kolohe back down onto the ground. Kolohe fled to Renna as if running away from a deadly animal. He hugged Renna's leg and hid his face. An occasional sniffle or hiccup could be heard. Renna ruffled Kolohe's golden hair in a reassuring manner.

The village chief approached us. He looked like he had aged greatly from the whole ordeal. "Sorry for the trouble my grandson has caused," the village chief said sincerely.

"It's alright," Renna reassured. "He is still a kid. I am sure he'll turn into a fine young man under your guidance." I nodded in agreement.

"Haha you flatter me hero. But, I do hope your words are true. This little rascal doesn't seem to ever learn from his mistakes," the village chief gave a loud sigh. At this moment the stall keeper came with a koi swimming inside a clear plastic bag filled with water. The stall keeper bent down and gently tapped on Kolohe's shoulder. Kolohe turned around. His eyes were red and puffy from crying and snot was dripping down his nose.

"Here is the koi you won with the young hero," the stall keeper passed over the plastic bag.

"Thank you and I am sorry again for the trouble," Kolohe said politely. The stall keeper nodded in response, not taking Kolohe's words to heart at all. Kolohe stared with fascination at the koi's red and golden scales. They shimmered in the light, creating an illusion that the koi's body was made of glitter.

"Heroes, could I trouble you to come back with me to my humble abode? I have yet to give you two a proper reward for bringing the little trouble maker back safely," spoke the village chief respectfully.

Upon hearing the word 'reward' Renna perked up. Her emerald eyes sparkled with happiness. "Of course! It's no trouble at all," Renna enthusiastically said.

The village chief smiled, "thank you for your time heroes. Follow me." He then began leading the way. Kolohe tugged at Renna's dress. He wiped his tears and snot off before obediently running up to his grandfather's side. Renna's mouth twitched from disgust at the slimy wet mess at the bottom of her dress. I burst out laughing, "it is indeed a skill to be liked by kids." Renna shot me a warning look. She grabbed my hand and tightened her grip as she dragged me after the village chief.

"Ow it hurts. Be more gentle," I whined pitifully. Renna ignored me.

After a couple of minutes, we reached the entrance to the village chief's home. Compared to the other mud and straw houses, this one was made of wood. In front was an elegant garden with a small pond. Kolohe stood by the rocks that lined the edge of the pond and carefully let out the koi he had won. There were snowdrops that were as white as snow neatly planted. Camellias, with their lush pink petals, provided a pop of colour. At the entrance to the door was a mini dragon sculpture. Even in stone, it gave the impression of dutifully guarding the entrance. The house itself looked like a large wooden cabin. The village chief let us inside and guided us into his study.