~Chapter 9~

Chanting an incantation, the goblin shaman summoned waves of air around itself. Its golden robe fluttered in the wind. The air currents lifted the goblin up a few feet above the ground. Afterwards, the goblin flew away from the scene. In turn, I flew high above in the sky to conceal my presence and followed. My action was like a cat stalking its prey.

I glided effortlessly, enjoying the chilly breeze cutting against my skin. It felt exhilarating. I kept my eyes locked onto the green figure that was weaving its way among the lifeless trees.

Suddenly, a loud yell echoed across the forest. Upon hearing the noise, the goblin shaman chanted another incantation. Its hands trembled. The staff glowed a dazzling white, strengthing the winds carrying the goblin. The speed at which the shaman goblin fled had significantly increased.

"Kochooooooooo! Where the hell are youuuuuu!?" a familiar voice bellowed. Startled, I looked down to see Renna. Her back was towards me and her green hair danced in the wind. As I flew closer to her, I noticed she looked haggard and exhausted. Her hand weakly carried the hilt of her sword, letting the blade drag across the floor.

"If you don't come out I'll eat all your cookies," shouted Renna. I descended down, grabbed Renna around the waist and flew back up. I noticed her clothes were torn in some places with fresh red cuts. My heart ached for her.

"No eating my cookies," I whispered demonically in Renna's ear. Surprised, Renna tried to turn around to look at me but failed.

"Kocho?" Renna asked wearily.

"Yes?"

"Where the hell did you disappear to? Why did you vanish into thin air without saying anything? Do you know how worried I was?" Anger and helplessness were evident in her voice. I patiently summarised the events I had experienced to Renna - how I was stuck in a formation and how a clone of her had tried to kill me.

"Those wretched scheming goblins. They may be weak, but they sure aren't stupid." Renna sighed. "The moment you vanished; a group of goblins ambushed me. They thought they could defeat me by out numbering me. Tut tut tut. Now they are all kissing the floor," Renna said condescendingly.

"Good job," I praised Renna.

I noticed that Renna was rather calm as we flew in the air. I asked with curiosity "you aren't afraid of heights anymore?" I peeked through the side of Renna's head to observe the situation in front. The shaman goblin had stopped at the entrance of a cave. It looked around its surroundings before entering in.

"I'm too angry to be scared," Renna replied dryly.

I chuckled, "you should be angry more – much easier to carry."

"Oi!"

I descended a short distance away from the cave. Renna breathed a sigh of relief after landing back on the ground. She turned to look at me with an inquisitive gaze. Her emerald eyes shone in the sunlight.

"Sooo what's the plan?" Renna asked. "My anger won't be quelled until I uproot the goblin's nest."

An idea popped into my mind. "Can you make a fire?"

"I can but why do you want to make a fire?"

I pointed to the cave, "Did you see the shaman goblin enter in there? That's the goblin's base. Setting a fire inside the cave will lure them out."

Renna nodded and then pondered for a moment. "It's a good idea. Let's do that." She then gazed up at the sky. Her brows started to furrow with worry. The sun was beginning to set, casting long shadows. The decline in the temperature made the wind feel even more bitter as it wailed passed. "Let's make this fast. The celebration will begin soon. We shouldn't miss it," Renna said firmly.