~Chapter 8~

A layer of white steam coated the still turquoise water. Smooth rocks lined the outskirts of the hot spring. Behind the hot spring was an army of barren trees. Birds chirped atop of the tree's branches. They had brown feathers with a large red dot on their chest.

Outside was very chilly. Despite the gentle warmth from the sunlight, my fingers were still numb from the cold. I buried my fingers into the folds of the towels that I held, trying to protect them from the chilly breeze. I started to shiver, and my teeth chattered. Renna, whom was ahead of me, was happily sitting in the hot spring. Her soft voice was humming a relaxing melody. Green hair floated around her. Her emerald eyes locked onto mine as she smiled.

"Come on inside Kochoooo. It's very nice and warm. You seriously walk like a snail. What took you soooo long?" Renna complained.

I pointed at the towels that I was holding. "Forgetting something?" I inquired.

"Haha, my bad. It completely slipped my mind," Renna shrugged. "Good thing I have you."

I nodded proudly. I propped down the towels safely out of the way. I then changed out of my clothes and hopped into the water. The water reached up to my upper thighs. Renna looked at me up and down and then gazed away blushing.

"We're both girls. No need to be shy," I chuckled.

"Shut up," Renna said as she splashed water at me. I sat down beside her unperturbed. The rock floor was smooth and warm to the touch. It was surprisingly comfortable to sit on. The hot water was soothing; it fought away the cold that had seeped into my bones. I looked to my left at Renna who had her head turned away from me. The tips of her ears were bright red. It was very cute. I tapped on her shoulder, but she continued to ignore me. I gazed back down to look at my reflection in the water. Red eyes, like the colour of rubies, stared back at me.

My mind wandered back to what I saw earlier today. The green thing scurrying in the distance was likely a goblin who was there to scout the village. If there were goblins nearby, then the village was in danger. My heart sank and I sighed.

Renna finally turned around and looked at me worriedly. "That was one deep sigh," Renna remarked. "What's wrong?"

"You were ignoring me," I teased.

"Oh come on. You know, I suddenly miss your sulking version. She was very cute and obedient. From whom did you learn how to tease anyways?" Renna whined.

"From you."

"Seems like you're fine then. Hmph," Renna stood up preparing to leave. I quickly grabbed her hand.

"Wait."

"Why should I?" Renna looked at me suspiciously.

"Earlier, I saw goblins."

"Goblins? Are you sure you weren't mistaken?" Renna was taken aback.

I nodded my head, "I'm 90% sure."

Renna's expression rapidly changed from annoyance to shock to distress. Renna plopped back down into the hot spring, splashing water everywhere.

"Dammit why now? Goblins sure know how to pick the worse timing ever." Renna rolled her eyes.

I nodded my head in agreement.

"Let's go goblin hunting after this Kocho," Renna smiled evilly. "No issues can arise if the problem itself doesn't exist."

I gave Renna a thumbs up. Her devilish smile was a sight to behold. Her emerald eyes could barely conceal the killing intent brewing in her heart.

After we finished bathing, Renna and I sneaked out of the village to avoid raising any alarm. The flimsy fence was easy to hop over. As Renna jumped over it, she knocked it and the wooden plank fell on the floor with a gentle thud. I guided Renna over to where I approximately saw the goblin.