~Chapter 18~

After my hunger had been satisfied, Renna sat down beside me. I noticed that the orc's throne room had been meticulously cleaned. The stench of blood had vanished. The grey stone sparkled. In some corners of the room simple furniture had been set up, giving it a homely feel. There were two wooden stools and a table. On top of the table was a fresh bouquet of cyclamen flowers. Other than the throne that stood erect at the centre, it was hard to believe a bloody battle had occurred. It almost felt like it was all a dream.

A think fur blanket was draped over my lap. It was soft to the touch. Around me there were even more blankets on the floor to ensure my comfort. I glanced at my broken wings. They had been neatly bandaged around wooden twigs that acted as a splint. I noticed all my other minor wounds had also been cared for. I gazed softly at Renna. She looked paler and thinner than before.

"Thank you," I said from the bottom of my heart.

"Next time, do NOT push yourself beyond your limits or I WILL be furious," warned Renna. In my heart I complained. It was clear she hadn't been resting well due to taking care of me. Why didn't she do what she preached?

I avoided Renna's intense gaze. Tangoing with death had become somewhat normal for me. But I didn't want Renna to worry about me. I felt conflicted.

Renna prodded me. "Kocho, promise me."

"I'm sorry, I can't." I shook my head. Immediately Renna became downcast. It was like she had become a withered tree.

"But I'll become stronger so I can better protect you," I continued. I placed my hand on top of hers. A subtle shade of red painted her cheeks.

"I'll do my best too," Renna smiled gently. For a moment I was taken aback. Her smile was as beautiful as a sunrise.

Renna shuffled closer to me. Curiosity was sparkling in her eyes.

"By the way, how did you heal me instantaneously?" Renna asked.

"I used a blood demon art," I replied.

"A blood demon art?" Renna tilted her head slightly from confusion. Her eyebrows furrowed.

"My blood contains a small amount of my life force. If I write a specific seal with my blood and it makes contact with the target's soul, I can heal them as long as they're alive. In other words, it works by using my life force to restore them to full vitality," I explained.

"I see. So... can you also use it on yourself?"

I shook my head. Renna then paused. "Wait a minute, you said it uses your life force..."

I felt an impending sense of danger. I pulled the thick blanket over my entire body and hid underneath it.

"... meaning that you sacrificed part of your life for me?" Renna articulated each word slowly. I shivered. The pressure released by Renna was like that of a final boss. I remained completely still as if I was a corpse.

Renna pulled away the blanket from the my face with an unamused expression. Seeing I had no where to run I meekly responded with "yes".

Renna sighed deeply. "Help me become stronger. Then this won't happen again."

Seeing that I wasn't about to get another earful, I perked up. "Alright. Do 100 squats, 100 push ups and 100 sit ups right now," I smiled. My heart felt very comfortable. I could finally get revenge for Renna's earlier teasing.

"Is it too late for regrets?" Renna complained.

I chuckled. "It's too late."

In a blink of an eye, several restful days had passed. The pain all over my body had subsided. I felt completely invigorated. I took off the makeshift splints and unwrapped the bandages to reveal my black feathery wings. The wounds had vanished and the structure of my wings looked normal. I tested stretching them, catching Renna's attention.