Chapter 3: Rekindling

Robin told me not to take it personally. That Shane was... different. I tried to get her to elaborate, but she simply said it wasn't her place. I turned to Marnie with a million questions, but she only greeted me with a sad smile.

"Keep trying... If anyone can get him to open up..." she trailed off as she stared at the door he'd exited through no sooner than he'd entered.

"Do you want to see some old friends, dear?" Robin questioned. I knew she was trying to take my mind off of Shane, but I perked up regardless.

"They're here?" I questioned. Robin nodded over towards the back room.

"Go on," she ushered me. I started to fiddle with the hem of my shirt again as I approached the room solo. I hesitantly stepped beyond the thresh hold and was greeted with screams of 'THAT'S CHEATING' coming from the tall and muscular blonde hair menace that certainly had to be Samson. Despite his exasperated claims, he was also the first one to see me. His whole body language changed and next thing I knew this behemoth of a man was rushing towards me, causing me to let out a small squeak.

"Addie!" he screamed as he lifted me up into his arms. I awkwardly threw my hands around his neck as I tried to get a perch on something considering I was now several inches off of the ground.

"Sam!" I squeaked breathlessly. Sam twirled in a circle once before finally allowing my feet to return to their rightful spot on the floor.

"That would've been real awkward if that happened to be some other random girl," Abigial threw out causing me to laugh. She smiled as well before tossing her handheld gaming console to the side and coming over to wrap me in a crushing hug.

"Hi," I whispered into her hair as I returned the hug and thought about how wild it was that they cared... that they might've missed me.

"Hi sweet girl," she whispered back causing shivers to run up my spine and tears to prick in my eyes. This all was almost... too much. They shouldn't care this much... not for me. I wasn't worth it. It just... didn't make sense. Abby did release me after a bit more time passed and I was faced with the only person left in the room: my childhood partner in crime, Sebastian.

"Hi," the word came out in a ghosted whisper as I looked at him. He'd really adopted an emo look, but it looked good on him. I could still see the boy I played with in his eyes, the boy who'd been my best friend in the entire realm.

"It's nice to see you, Adeline." My full name coming off his lips almost felt like a slap to the face as I shuttered. It felt... cold. I felt the urge to cry all over again, but I pushed it down. It was already a miracle that Robin, Sam, and Abby had been so welcoming and had seemed to miss me. I knew it all seemed a little too good to be true. But it still hurt... first Shane, and now Sebastian. The two people I'd missed most in the entire world, seemingly wanting nothing to do with me. I nodded numbly at him before he roped Sam into another game and Abby dragged me off to the couch to talk.

"I'll admit, I'll kind of miss exploring the overgrown farm," she giggled.

"It's still plenty overgrown, Abs. You're welcome anytime," I offered and she perked up.

"Really?" she gasped as she excitedly grabbed my hand. I nodded and smiled in return. "I can even help you if you want! I know so much about seeds from helping my dad," she started rambling on. It felt nice falling into effortless conversation with Abby, but I couldn't help the occasional glance at Sebastian... and I couldn't help that every time, it felt like a dagger through my heart.