Chapter 11: Festival's end

The egg festival was sure an interesting one. Shortly after the egg hunt ended, which Abigail won after forcing me to participate, I collected my strawberries from Pierre with the intention of heading home.

"Can I borrow your daughter for help, Mr. Pierre?" I questioned as I handed off some strawberries to the boys. He eyed me up and down, and then eyed her up and down, before giving a brief and curt nod. I could tell Abby was trying not to squeal in excitement. Instead, she kissed her dad on the cheek, thanked him, and we were off.

"I... I'm not really a fan of the whole physical labor thing," Sebastian admitted as we walked the path to the farm.

"That's okay!" I smiled at him. "Really, you guys don't need to help at all," I giggled.

"You can spend time with Oreo!" Abigail said and both boys looked at her.

"Oreo's my cat," I giggled. "Marnie found him and asked if I wanted to look after him."

"I'll gladly take that job," Sebastian laughed. It seemed so genuine, and I realized there must be a deep love of animals there.

"You know, Abby and I were talking about starting up an animal sanctuary someday, if everything works out?"

"Oh?" Sebastian questioned.

"Yeah, I don't really know the logistics. We're so far out of the way and all, but... it'd be nice. The land is promising, and I have a feeling it'll give so much to me. It feels only right to give back to the earth's creatures who cannot fend for themselves," I said with a smile as the image of a menagerie of animals flittered across my mind.

"I actually do know a thing or two about enclosures and their constructions, actually," Sebastian responded with an awkward laugh.

"Really dude?" Sam questioned and Sebastian flushed.

"Well, you know I really like animals," he said simply. "It's just something I researched a lot back in school."

"I'd love your expertise, if you're willing, Sebastian," I assured. He nodded as we officially reached the farm.

"Want to help get these in the ground before the end of the day?" I aimed at Abby. Both her and Sam responded with an eager yes and I giggled. I opened the door to let Oreo out of the house and he instantly seemed to fall in love with Sebastian and curl up in his lap.

We all worked mostly in silence, sometimes finding something to converse about. Sebatian fit right in with the dynamics we had this morning, even if he was just keeping Oreo occupied. I found myself thinking that perhaps I could get used to this, having them all here. Somehow, it just felt right.