Chapter 18: Seeping

I woke up screaming covered in sweat. Oreo bolted from the bed and if I wasn't so panicked, I'd feel bad. In my dreams, I was back there. Back with Cole, my handler, and the others I'd never learned the name of. I doubt Cole was his real name, anyway, but it's what I'd known him as. Not that I was ever to use his name anyway. He was always 'sir' to myself and the other girls.

I tried to focus on my breathing as I attempted to calm myself. Slowly Oreo wandered back over to me and curled up on my lap, turning on the motor and likely trying to calm me. I forced myself to take slow breaths and tried not to hyperventilate. I looked at the clock to see the time and it was three in the morning, but I knew I wouldn't be getting back to sleep. I calmed myself with Oreo in my lap for a while longer before I finally returned to a less panicked state. Sure, I was still severely on guard, but I wasn't in the middle of a panic attack at the very least.

My brain began to race with ideas of further protection. Sure, I was in a new town going under a slightly different name, my mother's maiden name, to be precise. But the fear still gripped my heart. Just because I'd moved to the middle of nowhere didn't mean they couldn't find me. I thought of the old doghouse that lay out in the yard, still in decent condition, and wondered if perhaps a guard dog would be an option. At the thought I immediately reached for my laptop.

I discovered after some researching that there was a pet rescue in Grampleton, which wasn't terribly far away. I decided that it could even be a good first step to beginning the rescue. I grabbed a notebook and scribbled down information about getting a dog and what one might require. I researched what would and wouldn't make a good farm dog, and later found myself browsing the Grampleton humane society website.

Somehow, I ended up falling in love with two dogs. They were both German Shepherds who were only a year old and were bonded. They ended up at the shelter after their owner had passed away. The pups were brother and sister, both fixed. Their temperament assessments reported that they were good with animals of all kinds and would be well suited for a larger plot of land. I ended up making the impulsive decision to put in an application.

I hesitated when it came to the section that required my name. I knew that if I wanted to adopt them, I'd have to give proof of identity. Which required my full name. I worried that this might open up the possibility for Cole and the others to find me, but ultimately ended up just biting the bullet.

I didn't know how I would end up getting the dogs, if I happened to be accepted for their adoption, but I figured that would have to be a road I crossed later down the line. I recalled Lewis having a vehicle and pondered asking him if it'd be alright to borrow it.

I looked at the clock again and it had somehow advanced to being nine in the morning, so I decided due to my restlessness that I'd simply go find Lewis and inform him of my application. I got dressed in some sweatpants and a simple tshirt before heading out.

Lewis wasn't hard to find, he often followed a schedule that, once learned, made it easy to find him. He was outside his house gardening and smiled when he saw me.

"Adeline! It's nice to see you," he greeted as he rose from his garden.

"Hi, Mayor," I greeted with a smile. "I had something I wanted to talk to you about." And so Lewis invited me inside. I began by telling Lewis of my dreams to transform the farm into a partial sanctuary. He seemed to adore the idea, so I continued on to tell him about the pups I'd found for adoption in Grampleton.

"Ah, let me guess. If you're accepted, you need a way to get them?" Lewis asked. It wasn't accusatory, merely a statement.

"Yes, sir," I responded apprehensively.

"That will be absolutely no problem, Adeline. I would be more than happy to. The valley could use some fresh faces, especially in the form of fluffy friends," he gave a hearty chuckle and I smiled.

"I'm going to go run by Robin's. I want to get her started on a coop. I saw that there were also some farm animals up for adoption at the shelter, so I wanted to make progress in getting something set up so I can take in some of them if possible," I said and Lewis smiled and then ushered me on to Robin's.