Chapter 10: Musings of the Men

Sam wondered if she could see it, the way she effortlessly drew everyone in. If he didn't know better, he'd say she was some kind of sorceress who'd cast a spell. The way she laughed as Abby pulled her into the square was so effortless. So pure. Sam could tell there was something dimmed about her, and yet, her light still shined through.

Sebastian's thoughts were along the same vein. He couldn't help but chastise himself for not knowing how to communicate with her. Addie had been his absolute best friend until she stopped showing up. For the longest time he had trouble understanding why she wasn't coming anymore. His mom had tried to explain it to him in the most kid appropriate way, but he just didn't get it.

He knew now, of course, that her mom had passed away. Mr. Barret had two kids, from what Sebastian knew. He didn't know much about his son, and he just knew that his daughter was Adeline's mom. And after she died, Adeline never came to visit again. Sebastian clenched his hand as he thought about how messed up it was. She lost her mom, and then couldn't keep in contact with her grandpa? What kind of father did that?

Sebastian had spent many nights lying awake thinking about Adeline, and what her life was like. He'd always hoped she was happy and carefree, like she'd always been. But somewhere, in his gut, he had a bad feeling. Even now, watching her happily wander off with Abby, something was off. She was still bright. She was still sunlight and glittering stars to those around her. But something inside had changed.

"They seem close," Sam commented to Sebastian, and he nodded. "Abby might be making a move," Sam chuckled causing Sebastian to turn to him, surprised. Sam rolled his eyes.

"Please. Like you haven't thought about it."

"I-" Sebastian was at a loss for words.

"She's Addie, Seb. Our Addie. Your Addie." Sebastian sighed as he turned to look at her again. The sun bounced off her blonde hair as Abby led her around hand-in-hand.

"God, we're going to need a counsel meeting, aren't we?" Sebastian groaned.

"Good idea," Sam nodded.

"It's... weird. I don't... I don't know what to do around her, man."

"You get to know her, Seb. You spend time with her. Come out of your cave once in a while and down to the farm. You don't have to do manual labor by any means, you'd hate that. But maybe you could pet the cat and, I don't know, work on business stuff?" Sam ended on a high pitch note.

"I work with computers, man," Sebastian chuckled.

"I dunno!" Sam protested. "But I'm sure there's something. I only spent around an hour there and the energy... it's unreal, man. It's hard to describe. Abby's been there every second she can manage and apparently, they've been planning and working. Ab said something about a sanctuary, I think? Which... is just so Addie," Sam said with a sigh as he looked at Adeline with adoration in his eyes.

"She's... different... somehow," Sebastian said, and Sam agreed.

"I noticed it... like, she's bright on the outside. But... something... I dunno, man."

"Me either," Sebastian said and then the two fell into silence as they watched the two women wander around, Addie's hand in Abigail's the entire time.