Chapter 8: Bated Breath

Sebastian kicked Sam's ass several more times before he asked if I wanted to go another round. I shrugged and got my butt off the couch, hoping maybe some games would thaw the barrier of ice shrouding Sebastian from me. I fared far better than the first time, considering I wasn't in the middle of a losing game, but I still lost horrifically.

"How are you so good?" I yelled in a half-joking tone.

"I go to the city a lot. Lots of practice," he said, and I froze for a moment. The city.

"Where'd you play?" I questioned, hoping it came off nonchalant.

"Eh, a few places. Mostly dive bars," he explained, and I relaxed. Of course, he wouldn't be frequenting higher end and back-alley places. He was just a simple guy. A good guy from a small town.

"Any notable ones I might know?" I continued, hoping that the feigned interest might cover up the brief moments of panic that we'd run into one another at some point.

"Probably not," Sebastian chuckled, and I forced a laugh that I prayed to Yoba sounded real. "Why'd you leave, anyway? For a place like here nonetheless?" he questioned, and I froze. 'I'm running' my brain screamed but I brushed it off.

"I needed a change... and the farm... it's always called to me. I'm sure that sounds crazy," I said with a giggle.

"Not crazy!" Abigail called without looking up from her game.

"Thanks Ab's," I said, and she hummed.

"I just... I don't see why anyone would leave the city. I'd love to get out of this place." I was quiet for a long moment before I settled on issuing a vague warning.

"Be careful in the city, Seb. It... it's easy to fall into some things that are nearly impossible to get out of." Sebastian looked curious but Sam cut us off.

"We should have a bonfire," he stated as he threw his arm around me once again and leaned against me.

"You've been drinking," Sebastian stated with a roll of his eyes.

"It's a saloon!" Sam protested. "But still!"

"It's spring, Sam. It's not exactly chilly," Sebastian pointed out causing Sam to roll his eyes.

"So! We sit further away from the fire, Seb! People have summer bonfires all the time!"

"Maybe once work settles down a bit, we can have one on the farm. Abby has been helping me out, but there's a lot to do," I suggested.

"I can help!!" Sam immediately burst out.

"You're drunk, offer me your services when you're sober," I chuckled.

"No, really, I work part time at Joja, and work on band stuff, and then there's not much else," he said, seeming to sober up a bit.

"It's hard work, Samson," Abigail commented, and I nodded with a hum.

"We both end up gross after," I giggled. "But it's my life now... and I like it better than what I was doing before."